[Sosfbay-discuss] Why I Joined the Green Party on California Greening

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Mon Feb 26 11:09:43 PST 2007

Dear Friends,

 Wes might especially get a kick out of this.

 I do believe there is a flaw in human nature. People are more passionate about what they are AGAINST than about what they are FOR.

 I posted a "Diary" on the Daily Kos with a link to my California Greening article. I have posted a number of small "diaries" up there in recent months. I have never gotten more than 15 comments before it scrolled off the front page.

 Today, my diary has been up there for about a hour and I've had 68 comments. Within seconds my "Diary" was reclassified as a "Troll Diary." All but about 10 comments were extremely hostile and many quite vulgar (along the lines of "F**K YOU, GREENIE-WEENY"). One guy posted a picture of kid with a snotty nose. The Daily Kos has new rules about posting pictures, but I guess they don't apply to Stalinist Democrats.

 Just gives us fresh insights into exactly why we are in this mess. Think about it. These bloggers supposedly represent the Bush-hating avant garde among Democrats. These are people who are passionately antiwar and who also claim to be passionately concerned about green issues like global warming. And yet... almost all of them have this really irrational hostility, bordering on hatred for Greens, which by the way, is very similar to the irrational hostility, bordering on hatred for peace activists, civil rights activists, feminists, and environmentalists by Democratic Party hacks generally. I know I've seen diaries by rightwing "trolls" on the Daily Kos that does generate such a firestorm.

 Frankly, I do not like those people and I do not WANT to be in the same party with them. No going back.

 Alex Walker