[Sosfbay-discuss] Nader: Pariah or Prophet?

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Mon Feb 26 19:42:33 PST 2007

  Dear Green Friends,

 Everybody should read this.

 This is a GREAT article by Chris Hedges. He says, point blank, in the 2nd paragraph that if the Democrats nominate Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton in 2008, he will campaign for a third party candidate. As far as I know, Hedges is the first person with at his level of mainstream prestige (he was, after all, a respected correpsondent for the New York Times), who has gone on record with that.

 I know a lot of good progressive Democrats are keeping their powder dry for John Edwards or Dennis Kucinich or Barack Obama (as a black man, I am particularly sensitive to the Obama boom), but Lord have mercy, if the Democrats another bullshit "moderate" in 2008 (and I'd bet real money they will), that'll be the day.

 B.T.W. Please don't patronize me with all this talk about Cynthia McKinney and Elaine Brown. I love Cynthia McKinney but she has a thin skin and you need a very tough skin to run for high office as a Green.

 Elaine Brown has (as they like to say), "high negatives." She was one of the last leaders of the Black Panther Party and there have been serious allegations she ordered "hits" after the Panthers more-or-less degenerated into a street gang. in 1969 there was an actual shoot-out between the Black Panthers and Ron Karenga's "US" at UCLA. Nevermind that both groups had been infiltrated by provocateurs and rats from the F.B.I. and the L.A.P.D. If Elaine Brown is at the top of the Green ticket I am sure the Los Angeles Times and the so-called alternative L.A. Weekly will have a field-day spinning that story.

 That's part of the reason why I love Ralph Nader, Peter Camejo, and David Cobb. They are cool under pressure and they ain't got no weird shit hidden in the closet for the MSM to throw at them (They tried to "red bait" Peter Camejo but that's kind of ridiculous when you're talking about a successful investment banker!).

 If I had my way either Camejo, Medea Benjamin, or Matt Gonzalez or all three by now would be ELECTED to partisan offices instead of running around trying to save the whole world. I don't want to start obsessing over the next bullshit presidential election already. Leave that to the Demos and their $100 million war chests.

 The crisis in American politics did not begin with Bush-Gore-Nader and will not end with Bush. As for California, we have not yet even seen the end of the beginning! Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and his enablers, i.e. the clueless California Democrats, have done nothing these last three years except delay the Day of Reckoning. Peter Camejo has literally been the proverbial voice crying in the wilderness about the "structural deficits" built right into our system. If the Democrats do regain the White House in 2008, then the crunch will come around 2010. Generally, the president's party catches hell in the mid-term election and 2010 will also be the next go-round in California. By that time either a miracle will have happened and the Democrats will have done much better than I expected, and we can retire on social security, or it will be crystal clear Our Sacred Two-Party is dysfunctional.

 We need to prepared for that day and be prepared to REPLACE the Democrats in California.

 Alex Walker