[Sosfbay-discuss] [Fwd: Re: Chris Hedges on 2008: "This may be the twilight of American democracy. And it is better to stand up and fight, even in vain, than not to fight at all."]

JamBoi jamboi at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 15:50:52 PST 2007

I agree with her that Nader's importance goes completely unrecognized
(except by Naderites and Greens whom she seems to forget entirely).
Doesn't change the fact that Nader will likely run as an independent
and will not run as a Green in 2008.  More power to him, but I'm very
pleased that the Green Party is  past the Nader Era.  Now we are onto
people who will actually build up the Green Party and make us a viable
force.

Green solidarity!

Drew

<http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20070226_an_unreasonably_principled_man/>http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20070226_an_unreasonably_principled_man/

> [...]
> and sexual orientation and openly proselytize.
> They stood by as American children got fleeced by
> No Child Left Behind.  Democrats did not protest
> when federal agencies began to propagate
> “Christian” pseudo-science about creationism,
> reproductive rights and homosexuality.  And the
> Democrats let Bush further dismantle regulatory
> agencies, strip American citizens of
> constitutional rights under the Patriot Act and
> other draconian legislation, and thrust
> impoverished Americans aside through the
> corporate-sponsored bankruptcy bill.  It is a
> stunning record.
>
> Bush is the worst president in American history.
> If Gore, or Kerry, had the spine to take him on,
> to challenge corporate welfare, corporate crime,
> the hundreds of billions of dollars in corporate
> bailouts and issues such as labor law reform, if
> either had actually stood up to these corporate
> behemoths on behalf of the working and middle
> class, rather than mutter thought-terminating
> clichés about American greatness, he could have
> won with a landslide.  But Gore and Kerry did not
> dare to piss off their corporate paymasters.
>
> There are a few former associates in the film who
> argue that Nader is tarnishing his legacy, and by
> extension their own legacy.  But Nader’s legacy
> is undiminished.  He fights his wars against
> corporate greed with a remarkable consistency.
> He knows our democratic state is being hijacked
> by the same corporate interests that sold us
> unsafe automobiles and dangerous and shoddy
> products.  This is a battle not for some
> unachievable ideal but to save our democracy.
>
> “I don’t care about my personal legacy,” Nader
> says in the film.  “I care about how much justice
> is advanced in America and in our world day after
> day.  I’m willing to sacrifice whatever
> ‘reputation’ in the cause of that effort.  What
> is my legacy?  Are they going to turn around and
> rip out seat belts out of cars, air bags out of
> cars?”
>
> These corporations, and their enraged and
> manipulated followers in the Christian right,
> tens of millions of them, if left unchecked will
> propel us into despotism.  The corporate state
> has rigged our system, hollowed out our political
> process and steadily stripped citizens of
> constitutional rights, federal and state
> protection and assistance.  This may be the
> twilight of American democracy.  And it is better
> to stand up and fight, even in vain, than not to
> fight at all.
>
> Chris Hedges’ latest book is “American Fascists:
> The Christian Right and the War on America.”
> --
> NOW PLAYING AT YOUR LOCAL MARXIST CINEMA: "DR.
> STRANGELEFT, OR, HOW I  STOPPED WORRYING AND
> LEARNED TO LOVE THE BOMBERS".
>

> "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully
> as when they do it from religious conviction" (B.
> Pascal)
>
> "We are already fighting World War III and I am
> sorry to say we are winning. It is the war

JamBoi
Jammy The Sacred Cow Slayer

http://dailyJam.blogspot.com