[Sosfbay-discuss] NOT in Praise of Tom Lantos

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Fri Jan 12 16:45:33 PST 2007

 Oh! for heavens sakes, guys!

  The point of my append was not to praise Lantos -- he's a Regular Democratic Party Hack and will be until the day he dies -- my point was to make a point we all know very well.

 Progressive change does not now and never has come from the likes of Regular Democratic Party hacks. It never has and never will. It's "street heat" and radical grassroot agitation that changes the world (though, of course, the radicals never get credit for it). Minnesota Sen. Eugene McCarthy was a Regular Democratic Party hack for twenty years, after he became Hubert Humphrey protege during the time they both set about purging the Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party in Minnesota of all its radical elements.

 Of course, today, the conventional wisdom is that the Great Eugene McCarthy was the man who sparked the anti Vietnam War movement. Not to take anything away from McCarthy -- he was great -- but the "spark" for the anti-Vietnam war movement came from a very different place.

 No, I am absolutely, positively, NOT praising Tom Lantos. I am giving a pat on the back to people like Pat Gray who had the guts to challenge his sorry ass.

 Alex Walker