[Sosfbay-discuss] Selling Lemonade at NBC11 Festival for Independence

JamBoi jamboi at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 1 17:49:37 PDT 2007

Although we're not able to use this strategy at the
Fest. 4 Ind, we could certainly give it a whirl at our
other tabling opportunities. :-)

Green is Global!

Drew

--- Edward <the_alliance47 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Would we like to be some of the first to test out a
> new, national MomsRising project?  The idea is that
> lemonade and/or bake sale items could be sold with a
> twist.  Reflecting real-world wage differences
> (although donations of any amount would be
> accepted), they'd provide us with a suggested price
> list on which items would cost a different amount of
> money depending on where the buyer falls in the wage
> gap scale. Only this time moms get a break!
>  How does the suggested cost structure work?  Single
> moms would pay only 60 cents per item, moms would
> pay 73 cents, women without children would pay 90
> cents, and men would pay $1.00.  (This is the actual
> wage gap that's alive and well in our nation).
> They'll have signs we can just print out available
> for kids to decorate. And, don't forget that
> donations of any amount could be accepted so we
> don't have to stick to this cost structure.  The
> cost structure is mostly a great conversation
> starter, as well as a fun way to spread the word
> about shared issues.
> INTERESTED IN BEING PART OF THIS TEST PROJECT?
> Email moms at momsrising.org  with "Early Bird Baker"
> in the Subject line and they'll send us materials,
> including some how-to tips, and look to us for our
> feedback on what works and what doesn't work for
> this project.
>
> (They plan to roll this program out in full in
> October, timed with the State of Our Nation speech
> by their President.  So if we don't have time do
> this project now, we'll have another opportunity
> later. Early Birds will help them create the best
> possible program to roll out later by letting them
> know what works well to make our efforts together
> even better.)
>
> What's the purpose of having a bake sale with cost
> differences?  Well, there are multiple purposes: To
> have fun, and to create understanding that there is
> a significant wage gap in our county that can be
> fixed.  As people are buying items, many will ask,
> "Why the gap?"   This is an opportunity to build
> public support for making our nation truly
> family-friendly because the short answer is: "The
> wage gaps aren't nearly as wide in countries with
> family-friendly policies in place like flexible work
> options, paid family leave, and subsidized
> childcare?and we are frankly behind the rest of the
> world when it comes to supporting families. We think
> it's time to catch up!"  They'll give us a handy
> sheet with common questions and answers, that have
> researched back up data in case we have a really
> tough customer.
> FYI: Moms in Montana have already tested out this
> bake sale idea with great success!  In the Spring,
> they set up a bake sale table at their state
> capital, and over the course of the day talked to
> legislators, staffers, and other folks about the
> terrible inequities in pay for women in America.
> They reported that it was a terrific day--where they
> made a difference and a little money, along with
> [...]

JamBoi: Jammy, The Sacred Cow Slayer
The Green Parties' #1 Blogger
http://dailyJam.blogspot.com

"To the brave belong all things"
Celt's invading Etrusca reply to nervous Romans around 400BC