[Sosfbay-discuss] Green says no to third parties

JamBoi jamboi at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 27 13:28:07 PDT 2007

I don't think there's a single answer.  Those of us
who feel called to work through the extreme
difficulties getting multiparty democracy going in the
US need to do our part, meanwhile people like this
fellow D.M.Green will have to work on reforming the
Dems from inside.  Unlike what Green says though I
don't see it as either/or but both/and.  Also I don't
see his counsel of despair re: third parties as being
helpful or truly seeing the full picture of what the
third party likely potentialities are.

As this article argues I don't think the GP will
suddenly surge forth and become a major party, winning
the WH and saving the day (although I'd be happy to
see that happen). Nevertheless if we work to get our
ducks in a row we can be a long-term significant
leading progressive minor party with representatives
at local, state and even the House similar to the
German, Irish, NZ, Canadian or Australian Greens.

In baseball we'd call this playing 'small ball'.
Working to get 'on base' any way we can and
consistently keeping the pressure up to advance our
peace agenda, rather than playing 'big ball' by
focusing on always trying to hit homeruns of winning
presidential races.  There's LOTS of good things to
commend playing 'small ball'.

My prediction: this upcoming election cycle will see a
multiplicity of third party and independent efforts,
not the least of which will be Unity08.  All these
efforts will on the one hand water down the effect of
the GP, but on the other it will take the pressure off
the GP that we feel to be America's savior (a role we
are not equipped for anyway) and generally will help
increase the positive effect of third parties.  This
will help breakup The Duopoly and introduce more
multiparty democracy to the US.  With more multiparty
democracy in America the GP will be in a great
position to be a leading minor party, yet will have
allies and competition from other third parties.  And
in the long run that will be a very good thing for
both America and for the Green Party.

Green is patient and persistent!

Drew

--- Gerry Gras <gerrygras at earthlink.net> wrote:

> How do we respond to this?
>
> "Forget Third Parties - It Ain't Gonna Happen:
> Hijack The Democrats Instead"
>
> http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/07/27/2797/
>
> Gerry

JamBoi: Jammy, The Sacred Cow Slayer
The Green Parties' #1 Blogger
http://dailyJam.blogspot.com

"To the brave belong all things"
Celt's invading Etrusca reply to nervous Romans around 400BC