[Sosfbay-discuss] Santa Clara Valley Water District

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Tue Jun 12 09:36:59 PDT 2007

The Santa Clara Valley Water District seems to be walking a tight rope.
On Channel 2 today, I noted that most of the counties in the Bay Area
have begun to request voluntary conservation measures for water due to
the shut down of the pumps in Tracy. The total story is not getting out
to the public and it is not coming form the Water District.

If you go to the Water District Web Site (http://www.valleywater.org/)
you find that they are not saying much recently. Especially when you go
to the section of press releases, you note a May 31, 2007 release: "The
state shuts down Delta pumps. What does that mean for Santa Clara
County’s water supply? We’re doubly threatened"  However, it looks as if
that press release has been pulled, since the link to the text is broken.

At the same time, the Morgan Hill Times today (and the Gilroy Dispatch
last Saturday) reported that Valley Farmers would lose discounts
<http://www.gilroydispatch.com/news/contentview.asp?c=216642>for water
that they use in Agriculture.

This appears to be moving faster than you can follow unless you are
paying close attention.  However, I have noted several tendencies.
- some will blame the California Endangered Species Act for the problems
now.   That was very clear in a KPIX (CBS5) report by Simon Perez recently.
- there will be calls for voluntary reductions couched in language that
makes this seem to be a temporary situation.
- bureaucracies of all forms act in terms of self-preservation.  This
came our when a State Depart of Water Resources scientist hinted that
the problem was not the export of water from the delta, but rather an
invasive species of clam that competed from food with the delta smelt.
What the scientist did not say is that this species of clam is oceanic,
likes salt water rather than fresh, and if they are competing with the
smelt for food it is only because the delta is becoming increasingly
saline.

What none of the agencies, water districts, cooperative users will say
is that we have an increasing demand (population growth, more intensive
agriculture) for a diminishing supply of water (due to global warming).
The agencies have always operated on the assumption that there was an
engineering solution to everything... build more dams, build more
canals, lay more pipeline.

The fact is that we are suffering from decades of poor planning and
ineffectual oversight and it is time that communities started to demand
something better.

I promised to lay out some new direction at a blog called delta levees.
It isn't there yet, but a number of the options are outlined in the
reports that are linked from that site or from the delta links at
http://cagreening.blogspot.com/

We need to keep a close eye on what the water district is doing, Some
consider them one of the more predatory of water districts in the state
and they have some degree of power given the role that State Sen.
Simitian (D. Palo Alto) plays.  Some version of Simitian's  SB 27 will
undoubtedly influence the direction that the State of California takes.

--
"I find I have a great lot to learn – or unlearn. I seem to know far too much and this knowledge obscures the really significant facts, but I am getting on." -- Charles Rennie Mackintosh

Wesley C. Rolley
17211 Quail Court
Morgan Hill, CA 95037
(408)778-3024