[Sosfbay-discuss] [Fwd: [SPAM] Help Save Castro Valley Ranch!]

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Sat Jun 16 09:02:06 PDT 2007

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[SPAM] Help Save Castro Valley Ranch!
Date: 	Fri, 15 Jun 2007 16:05:59 -0700
From: 	Michele Beasley <mbeasley at greenbelt.org>
To: 	mbeasley at greenbelt.org

*Help Save an 8,000 acre Ranch Southwest of Gilroy from Future Development!!

Immediate Action Alert!!!!!!

*This coming *Tuesday, June 19*, the Santa Clara County Board of
Supervisors will decide whether to approve a subdivision for the
environmentally-pristine, 8,000-acre Castro Valley Ranch in the hills
just outside of Gilroy. *Please contact the Supervisors and tell them to
oppose this growth-inducing project!

*The subdivision would rearrange 16 existing lots in a way that would
facilitate their further division into smaller parcels. It would also
provide road access to lots that are currently not served by any roads
and would significantly improve the one existing road on the ranch. The
draft environmental impact report failed to analyze the obviously growth
inducing impacts of the project.

*Why this is important:
*Land parcelization is a hidden but critical threat to the long-term
integrity of the Bay Area’s greenbelt. It usually happens in a piecemeal
fashion, meaning sprawl can occur outside of public view and with little
planning or oversight. The parcelization of large tracts of open land
such as Castro Valley Ranch breaks up contiguous blocks of habitat
essential for many wildlife species and carves up otherwise-intact
farming areas.
*
*Parcelization puts large demands on rural roads and other
infrastructure and it would be expensive to provide services to such
remote locations. This creates pressure for sprawl-inducing
infrastructure expansion. By undermining the values of an intact
greenbelt, parcelization makes it more likely that a given area will be
converted to full-blown suburban sprawl in the future. This threat is
most acute in Sonoma and Santa Clara Counties.
*
What YOU can do: (because your voice matters and needs to be heard!)
*The Board of Supervisors will decide this coming Tuesday, *June 19,*
whether to approve the subdivision. Please call, email or fax your
County Supervisor asking that they deny the Castro Valley Ranch
Subdivision. It would fragment the greenbelt, harm the environment and
could lead to full blown suburban sprawl.

don.gage at bos.co.santa-clara.ca.us
<mailto:don.gage at bos.co.santa-clara.ca.us> Tel: (408) 299-5010
blanca.alvarado at bos.co.santa-clara.ca.us
<mailto:blanca.alvarado at bos.co.santa-clara.ca.us> Tel: (408) 299-5020
ken.yeager at bos.sccgov.org <mailto:ken.yeager at bos.sccgov.org> Tel: (408)
299-5040
primo.mchugh at bos.co.scl.ca.us <mailto:primo.mchugh at bos.co.scl.ca.us>
Tel: (408) 299-5030
liz.kniss at bos.co.santa-clara.ca.us
<mailto:liz.kniss at bos.co.santa-clara.ca.us> Tel: (408)-299-5050

Thank you for your time and energy!

Michele Beasley
South Bay Field Representative
Greenbelt Alliance

1922 The Alameda, Suite 213
San Jose, CA 95126
Ph: 408.983.0856
Fx: 408.983.1001
SF main: 415.543.6771
www.greenbelt.org

<http://www.greenbelt.org/>Greenbelt Alliance protects open space and
promotes livable
communities in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Join us today at www.greenbelt.org <http://www.greenbelt.org/> . Your
donation helps make the Bay
Area a great place to live, work, and play.

--
"I find I have a great lot to learn – or unlearn. I seem to know far too much and this knowledge obscures the really significant facts, but I am getting on." -- Charles Rennie Mackintosh

Wesley C. Rolley
17211 Quail Court
Morgan Hill, CA 95037
(408)778-3024