[Sosfbay-discuss] S.O.S.! /SAVE OUR SOIL, Save BAREC

MKmusic03 at aol.com MKmusic03 at aol.com
Mon Jun 25 22:57:52 PDT 2007

HI All,

Please help if you can.  David Ledesma sent me this about the latest on the
SAVE BAREC front.

Merriam

Subj:   S.O.S.!
Date:   6/25/2007 12:29:43 PM Pacific Standard Time
From:   svtriathlete at hotmail.com
To: svtriathlete at hotmail.com
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Greetings Friends (Santa Clara residents)-
On Tuesday evening, June 19, the Santa Clara Mayor and City Council,
voted unanimously to change the zoning of the 17 acre BAREC property
on Winchester (at Forest) from agriculture to high density housing.
The grassroots "Save BAREC" committee mobilized members of the
community to speak out at the Council meeting to save the property
by maintaining the zoning as agriculture, and to work with the
committee to develop a 17 acre organic Urban Farm for the community.

Save BAREC organized over 200 supporters to attend the meeting, and
the developers sadly  manipulated a few dozen elderly citizens to
support the high density housing development.  Before the Council
vote, well over 100 people filled out speaker cards to give a 2
minute talk in support of  either position.  Some 90% of the
speakers favored maintaining the zoning as agriculture.  Speakers
took to the podium one after another until 2:15am!

Despite the huge outpouring of the community in favor of a 17 acre
organic Urban Farm at the site, the Mayor and Council voted
unanimously to change the zoning to make the property available to
sell to the greedy developers for high density housing, even though
ValleyFair Mall and Santana Row are planning for expansion, which
will further complicate traffic problems at an already congested
area.

Despite this setback, Save BAREC is now planning to place an
Initiative on the ballot to allow Santa Clara voters to reject the
Mayor and Council's eager plan to sell out the best interest of
Santa Clara residents.  We must gather about 8,500 signatures of
eligible Santa Clara voters on our petition to place the initiative
on the ballot.  This must be completed in 3 weeks!

The Petition is being drawn up by our Attorney, then will be sent to
the printer and we hope will be ready for signatures on Tuesday,
June 26.  For more information on our work you can visit our website
at http://www.savebarec.org.

Prior to the name "Silicon Valley", Santa Clara Valley was known as
"The Valley of Hearts Delight", due to the numerous orchards and crops
grown in the fertile soil that is now covered with concrete and
asphalt.  Let's keep 17 acres of Santa Clara GREEN!  Tell the Mayor
and the Council that you want the BAREC property to stay zoned
agriculture and to plan for an organic Urban Farm for our community.
S.O.S. - "Save Our Soil".

Please spread the word about this important issue to orgs that may
have registered Santa Clara voters , and visit our website for
further information.  Thank You.  -D.

http://www.savebarec.org
P L E A S E   D I S T R I B U T E   W I D E L Y!!!