[Sosfbay-discuss] L.A. Times article re: 37th CD race - Brezenoff in lead paragraph!!

JamBoi jamboi at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 28 16:32:37 PDT 2007

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/politics/cal/la-me-race28jun28,1,6195158.story?coll=la-news-politics-california
L.A. Times article re: 37th CD race - Brezenoff in
lead paragraph!!

Richardson favored in congressional runoff
The Assembly Democrat tops state Sen. Jenny Oropeza in
the special election to fill the post of the late Rep.
Juanita Millender-McDonald.
By John L. Mitchell, Times Staff Writer
June 28, 2007

At a Long Beach coffee shop Wednesday morning, Green
Party candidate Daniel A. Brezenoff held a news
conference to remind voters that the race for the 37th
Congressional District is not over.

Assemblywoman Laura Richardson (D-Long Beach)
outpolled Brezenoff and 16 others in the special
election Tuesday to fill the seat left vacant by the
death of Rep. Juanita Millender-McDonald.

But because Richardson did not received more than 50%
of the vote, the top Democratic vote-getter must face
a runoff against the other parties' top candidates
Aug. 21.

That means Richardson will be on the ballot along with
Brezenoff; Libertarian Herb Peters, a retired
aerospace engineer; and Republican John Kanaley, a
Long Beach police officer.

In the heavily Democratic district, Richardson is
considered the overwhelming favorite.

"I understand the odds," Brezenoff said. "She has more
staff, more money, more political connections. I'm
going to do the best I can, make some noise and I
think we can surprise some people."

Derek Humphrey, Richardson's campaign manager, said
his candidate is up for the challenge: "We are going
to campaign hard."

In Tuesday's results, Richardson had 37.8% of the
total, compared with second-place finisher, state Sen.
Jenny Oropeza (D-Long Beach), who had 31%. In third
place was Democrat Valerie McDonald, daughter of
Millender-McDonald, with 9%, followed by Kanaley at
7.6%.

According to the Los Angeles County
registrar-recorder, 11% of the district's 265,000
registered voters cast ballots in the election. The
district encompasses Compton, Carson, much of Long
Beach and parts of South Los Angeles.

_______

Green Party candidate optimistic
By Kelly Puente, Staff writer
Article Launched: 06/27/2007 03:26:29 PM PDT

LONG BEACH - Daniel Abraham Brezenoff acknowledges his
chances might be slim for winning a seat in the 37th
Congressional District. But the Green Party candidate
remains optimistic.

"Anything is possible in a democracy," he said.

Brezenoff won 352 votes (1.2 percent) in Tuesday's
primary election to replace the late Juanita
Millender-McDonald.

As the lone Green Party candidate, he will advance to
the runoff election Aug. 21, and face off against
Republican John M. Kanaley, Libertarian Herb Peters
and Democrat Laura Richardson.

The 37th District is a heavily Democratic district.

"I intend to make (Richardson) work very hard for that
seat," Brezenoff said in a Wednesday morning
conference at Hot Java on 2105 E. Broadway.

Brezenoff views his political run as a "chance to make
some noise for the Green Party."

"Getting the name of the Green Party out there is more
important than me getting recognition," he said.

As a Green Party candidate, Brezenoff wants to end the
war in Iraq and promote environmental sustainability.

His "New Deal for Sustainability" proposal is a
federal and state public works program that promotes
public transportation, solar power, electric cars and
other green-friendly actions.

"The 37th District could be transformed into a model
for urban sustainability," he said.

Brezenoff urged people Wednesday not to be afraid to
vote for a third party candidate.

"The (37th District) race has no chance of being
thrown to a Republican," he said. "This election is a
safe time to vote for a third party."

A clinical social worker, Brezenoff said his
experience working with drug addicts, abused children
and disabled vets gives him an understanding of people
that doesn't come with vast political experience.

He cites Martin Luther King, Jr., Mahatma Gandhi and
Henry David Thoreau as political inspirations. But
more recently, he admires 2008 Democratic presidential
candidate Mike Gravel, a former Alaskan senator, for
standing firm in his beliefs.

"He knows he doesn't have much of a chance of winning,
but he's still out there speaking the truth," he said.

Kelly Puente can be reached at
kelly.puente at presstelegram.com or at (562) 499-1305.

http://www.presstelegram.com/ci_6243460

JamBoi: Jammy, The Sacred Cow Slayer
The Green Parties' #1 Blogger
http://dailyJam.blogspot.com

"To the brave belong all things"
Celt's invading Etrusca reply to nervous Romans around 400BC