[Sosfbay-discuss] A Proposal to endorse that boycott

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Sat Mar 3 09:57:09 PST 2007

JamBoi wrote:
> Yes, and the other part that needs to be mentioned is that the purpose
> of the Boycott is to support impeachment!!!
I support the idea of a boycott. I also think that the association with
the issue of impeachment is a stretch for most. But, there is a much
more insidious intrusion of corporations into our lives that needs to be
called out and stopped. There is trouble right here in River City, oops,
I meant Santa Clara County.

I would suggest that we are selling our future for a pittance just
because we fail to take acknowledge what we owe our neighbors, our
children and grand children, our selves. So, we have HP Pavilion, Oracle
Arena & McAfee Coliseum. We allow Pepsi and Coca Cola exclusive rights
to sell food in our schools just to raise a bit more money instead of
our taxes. We have the Federal government seeking to sell naming rights
to our national parks. Some have even branded their towns, as in Dish,
Texas.

According to Friday's Morgan Hill Times,

> The Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors is endorsing a plan
> <http://www.sccgov.org/SCC/docs/SCC%20Public%20Portal/keyboard%20agenda/Committee%20Agenda/2007/February%201,%202007/TMPKeyboard201806071.pdf>
> to raise money from the private sector by selling opportunities for
> advertising and marketing.
>
> The county is considering several ways to generate additional revenue
> that include: beverage and snack vending contracts, offering a variety
> of advertising opportunities including Web site advertising, selling
> special event sponsorship packages, selling naming rights and
> community giving campaigns.
>
> The county's consultant, Active Public Enterprise Group
> <http://www.theactivenetwork.com/>, (1.)outlined the possibilities in
> presentation Tuesday to the board of supervisors, showing the program
> could up to $5 million annually by its third year of operation.
>
> The board endorsed much of the proposal, but raised concerns about
> billboards and vehicle advertising being too excessive. The board
> directed staff to make a few modifications to the proposal and return
> in April with plans for implementation.
(1)The Active Public Enterprise Group is a division of The Active
Network linked above.

There is a desire to have services without paying for it. We want a full
range of healthy, active, community oriented government services. We
want to cut our taxes and keep it all for ourselves.

Just how much of ourselves are we willing to sell to have it all?

Think globally, act locally, we are told. The more of our lives that
gets a Corporate Sponsor, the more of our soul that they sell.

Antonius Bloch

--

I have been impressed with the urgency of doing.
Knowing is not enough; we must apply.