[Sosfbay-discuss] Boycott for Impeachment

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Sat Mar 3 19:59:05 PST 2007

When I initially looked at http://www.wearenotbuyingit.org/ I had a hard
time making the connection.  What is the logical link between boycotting
all corporations and impeaching Bush.  Bush should be impeached.  That
idea is valid and stands on it's own.  There is an aspect  of
contemporary life that is accelerating the growth of the Corporate
State.   That is worthy of a boycott.

Tying the two together may lose the legitimacy of both.

If you parse the What a Boycott? language on their home page, it becomes
clear that this is intended to be the next salvo in a Marxist class
struggle.
> There exists a group of individuals and families within society who
> have abused their power, wealth and position for their own benefit, at
> the cost of quite possibly the survival of our species.
That statement in itself does not indict all corporations and it is
unspecific about the makeup of  this mysterious "group."

Then, when you follow that statement with ...
> Represented now by the Bush administration this class of people are
> driving not only towards the destruction of millions of human lives in
> their quest for more and more wealth and power, but towards the very
> destruction of America and all that it stands for.
You see that they have taken the "group" from above and substituted for
it the term "class" and now it become class struggle.

I would have agreed with the term "group".  Then it gets down to the
hard work of naming the members of that group.  When you make it a class
struggle, then you don't.

My problem, I have worked in a corporate setting where the number one
problem for the CEO was to find a way to do something that was both
morally right and right for the business during the years of apartheid
in South Africa.  That single issue consumed 1/3 of the time of the CEO
of a multinational corporation.  I know that this is standard of
behavior that not all corporations live up to.  But then not all state
agencies do either, nor all worker owned enterprises.

You see, I am much more concerned about the problems of good and evil
they work themselves out in the lives of real people.  I have yet to
find any noun ending in "ism" that provides a solution which avoids the
issues of good and evil. In fact, the best political expression that I
have yet see are the goals and methods expressed in the 10 KV of the
Green Party.  This is an attempt to write a prescription for good as
exemplified in the political arena.  It is neither specifically
Capitalist nor Marxist.  If fact, it does not require that the economic
structure be any specific thing at all.  It does require truth and
justice, characteristics so very much lacking in the current
administration and for which they should be held accountable.

--

I have been impressed with the urgency of doing.
Knowing is not enough; we must apply.