[Sosfbay-discuss] Community roundtable on global warming

JamBoi jamboi at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 10 09:34:09 PST 2007

It turns out that Tian went to this and we met up with him last night
after our weekly Impeachment vigil (Fr 5:30-7P @ El Camino & Castro)
and related he enjoyed the talk.

This ("Environment California") group I have mixed feelings about.  It
evolved out of CalPIRG (Nader's operation) and they've got a small army
of young people on the street soliciting $$ for their 'lobbying'
effort.  On the one hand I admire that they've got so many young people
out there involved (and I think, geeze, maybe we Greens need to learn
something from these folks and ACORN and do somet self-funding
operations likewise).

On the other hand the whole thing is really quite disgustingly
mercenary.  One of their cultists (sort of feels like the eco version
of the Hare Krishna's frankly) approached in her powder blue t-shirt
and after briefly talking to me put the $$$ question to me.  I told her
quite firmly that I could offer all kinds of resources to their
organizations (I'm very well connected in the environmental community
being the former Executive Producer of CGTV - CommonGround TV, the
award-winning and at one point longest running TV program out of MPAC -
which was the topic of my "bragging" that Roy so didn't care for ;-)  )
 and I said that if she would merely spare me some of the
organization's marketing collateral - ie. a brochure or something - I'd
be happy to check them out but that I was NOT going to give them any
money (I have a firm personal policy never to give money to any
organization that is not willing to give me some kind of written
material - that keeps the scammers away).  She tottaly refused and
abruptly turned her heal.  Forget that!  No way!

Well at least their putting the subject in people's faces (which is
more than I can say for We Greens - this is a growth opportunity for
us).

Impeach for Peace!

Drew

http://www.environmentcalifornia.org/action/global-warming2/los-altos?id4=ES
> Sincerely,
> Dan Jacobson,  Environment California Legislative Director
> DanJ at environmentcalifornia.org
> http://www.EnvironmentCalifornia.org

JamBoi
Jammy The Sacred Cow Slayer