[Sosfbay-discuss] Ideas

JamBoi jamboi at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 00:00:03 PDT 2007

Hmm... I think I used to work with some folks that were part of Digital
Clubhouse.   Cool!

Discreet inquiries to the formerly active are okay I suppose but like
the Army always trying to fight the last war it only really gives you
obsolete data, plus it stirs up all the bad feelings from long ago and
that is a very dysfunctional way to go.  No, I think plunging forward
will do far more to re-attract our formerly active and more importantly
a whole new set of faces than re-visiting the past.

"Organize, Energize, Coalize!"

Drew

--- Wes Rolley <wrolley at charter.net> wrote:

> I am not sure that I have solutions, but I want to make two comments
> regarding Jim's comments about recruiting and retaining people.
>
> The first comment is anecdotal.  I participated in the volunteer
> driven
> non-profit called the Digital Clubhouse
> <http://www.digiclub.org/sv/>.
> One of the founders had been a consultant with SRI.  His position was
>
> that the single most important task for a volunteer organization was
> recruit and develop your successor.  Then, you can either step aside,
>
> retire or move on to bigger and better things.  The need to retain
> power
> is often disguised to ones self as "we need to get this done and no
> one
> else is stepping up, so I have to do it."
>
> People burn out. Interests change.  The health of any organization,
> especially one driven by volunteers, requires recruiting new leaders,
>
> giving them a chance to fail, but making sure that they don't.
>
> The second comment is that the best people to ask about why we don't
> do
> better in retaining people are those who are no longer as active as
> they
> once were.  For example, Charlotte Casey.  She is still an activist,
> just not with GPSCC.  Maybe the old time members could make that list
>
> better than I .  We should ask them why they are no longer as active
> and, maybe more importantly, what we could have done to retain them.
>

> --
>
> I have been impressed with the urgency of doing.
> Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
> Being willing is not enough;
> We must do. –Leonardo DaVinci
> Wesley C. Rolley