[Sosfbay-discuss] Humanists (was Re: Dems won't try ...)

Duende egroups at duendevision.com
Thu Mar 29 11:08:36 PDT 2007

On Mar 28, 2007, at 12:50 PM, Gerry Gras wrote:

> Duende wrote:
>
>> I'm uncomfortable with the label of liberal
>

> "Liberal" became a 4 letter word for me after Gore attacked
> Nader in late October, 2000.  Now I have mixed feelings.
>
>> or even progressive anymore.
>

> I'm still ok with "progressive", but I think I see your point.
>
>> I'm more prone to use the label "humanist".
>

> I have been a member of the local humanist organization
>      http://humanists.org/
> and the national organization
>      http://www.americanhumanist.org/index.html
> for years.  At least 3 other GPSCC members have participated.

I met a guy who was a Humanist and recommended that site. I never
checked it out since he was such a fundamentalist in his atheism that
I was a bit turned off about what he was trying to tell me.

>> Let me define
>> humanist as someone concerned with the survival of the human race
>> (self) and realizes that this survival requires cooperation as
>> opposed to competition. A humanist recognizes or at least
>> acknowledges the interdependence of all living thing and sees his
>> survival as linked with the survival of others.
>

> The dictionary says:
>      http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/humanist
> The local humanist group says:
>      http://humanists.org/hum_def.htm
> The American Humanist Association says:
>      http://www.americanhumanist.org/about/faqs.php
>      http://www.americanhumanist.org/3/HumandItsAspirations.php
>
> None of these talk specifically about the survival of the human
> race.  (I assume they prefer a more positive approach).  But I
> think most humanists are quite concerned with the current state
> and do recognize the interdependence.

I want to define humanist as recognizing that interdependence as part
of the mission statement..not as an aside that some members recognize
it.  Other wise we end up with species arrogance which has created a
lot of suffering all the way around. The interdependance is a must
since our humanity is reflected in this.

And the repetition of the word  "supernaturalism" through out their
manifestos. it seems they're so afraid of fundamentalist religions
that it appears they've closed the door on spirituality and the meta
physical as well. This limits the human experience as well as
possibilities.

>> Also, the word
>> "humanist" make it pretty hard for the right to attack
>

> I don't know about that.  The right has vociferously attacked
> "secular humanists".  And the American Humanist Association
> fights for separation of church and state and does other
> things as well that the right would not like.

Ahhhh. They're stuck in their own anti supernaturalism dogma. Our
laws (state) are going to express our morality as a people. What they
need to do is inject their own morality (dignity for human kind) into
the laws rather than trying to take the "church's" out... mater of
fact make the churches morality which is supposed to be based on a
man who told us to love one another, make that morality the one
expressed in our laws.

I'll need to request that they qujit using the name of Humanist until
the can get over this personality clash :-)

>> Becoming the change that you want to see is a lot more than just
>> recycling and riding a bike.
>

> For sure!
>
> In fact, I believe in the assumptions held by those who talk
> about "The Great Turning", namely that the human race is facing
> an unprecedented situation, where things will get either much
> worse or much better, there is nothing in between.  And to get
> much better requires a lot of changes.
>      http://www.joannamacy.net/html/great.html
>      http://thegreatturning.net/

I'm definitely going to check out the sites on "The Great Turning".
There's definitely something in the air (other than pollution) This
is a time of great opportunity and I tend to feel that it's a time to
make great choices and it's not if I should use Linux or Windows
Vista. (OS X wins of course)

Peace

Duende

The basis of life is Freedom