[Sosfbay-discuss] Carter as bad as Bush ?

JamBoi jamboi at yahoo.com
Tue May 22 16:57:29 PDT 2007

There's no comparison between the Republican enforced
stalemate that Carter experienced and the vicious
destruction of the Constitution of Bush.  No
comparison at all.

And note that historians have never put Carter at the
bottom!  He has just come out in most surveys as being
mediocre.  This editorial is completely off base.

Green for a living planet!

Drew

--- Gerry Gras <gerrygras at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I was rather surprised and dismayed at the editorial
> by the San Jose Mercury News Editorial Board.
> And I find it confusing because it seems
> self-contradictory.

> Looking at the individual sentences, I don't
> disagree
> with much.  I question how many historians do think
> Carter was the worst, but I suppose that when there
> are thousands of historians, then maybe there are
> enough to qualify as many, so it might be nit
> picking
> to argue the point.
>
> But overall the editorial bothers me a lot...
>
> Gerry
>

> ---------------  SJMN 5/22 page 12 A
> ----------------
>
> The opinion of the Mercury News editorial board
>

> Carter has no room to talk
>

> Those too young to recall the Carter years got a
> revealing glimpse of Jimmy Carter, the president,
> Saturday.
>
> Honest to a fault.  Smarter than the vast majority
> of those who have held the office.  And way too
> willing to tell you so.
>
> It shouldn't come as a shock that Carter, in an
> interview with the Arkansas Press-Democrat,
> called the Bush Administration's foreign policy
> "the worst in history."
>
> He's got ample evidence to make that case.  But
> talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
>
> There are plenty of historians who would argue that
> it's Jimmy Carter -- not George W. Bush -- who is
> the worst president in U.S. history.  With good
> reason.  Voters couldn't wait to send Carter back
> to Plains, Ga., after his bungling of the Iran
> hostage crisis.  And for making his presidency
> synonymous with the word "malaise'.
>
> To his credit, Carter realized Monday that he had
> gone over the line of presidential protocol, saying
> his remarks were "careless or misinterpreted."  The
> small slip shouldn't alter the strong case he has
> built as one of the best former presidents in
> American history.  He richly deserved the Nobel
> Prize he won in 2002.
>
> But at present, we're no more lusting in our hearts
> for a reprise of the Carter years that we are for a
> George Bush encore.

JamBoi: Jammy, The Sacred Cow Slayer
The Green Parties' #1 Blogger
http://dailyJam.blogspot.com

"To the brave belong all things"
Celt's invading Etrusca reply to nervous Romans around 400BC