[Sosfbay-discuss] Read This & Weep - CINDY SHEEHAN

Duende egroups at duendevision.com
Tue May 29 07:53:34 PDT 2007

Alex

I've been weeping for a decade. Most people who are on this, yourself
included wept decades ago...yet they still keep stepping up and
valiantly doing battle with windmills.ce

Duende

Pea
On May 29, 2007, at 7:25 AM, alexcathy at aol.com wrote:

> = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
> Posted on The Daily Kos, Monday, May 28, 2007.
> http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/5/28/12530/1525
> "Good Riddance Attention Whore"
> by Cindy Sheehan
> I have endured a lot of smear and hatred since Casey was killed and
> especially since I became the so-called "Face" of the American anti-
> war movement. Especially since I renounced any tie I have remaining
> with the Democratic Party, I have been further trashed on such
> "liberal blogs" as the Democratic Underground. Being called an
> "attention whore" and being told "good riddance" are some of the
> more milder rebukes.
> I have come to some heartbreaking conclusions this Memorial Day
> Morning. These are not spur of the moment reflections, but things I
> have been meditating on for about a year now. The conclusions that
> I have slowly and very reluctantly come to are very heartbreaking
> to me.
> The first conclusion is that I was the darling of the so-called
> left as long as I limited my protests to George Bush and the
> Republican Party. Of course, I was slandered and libeled by the
> right as a "tool" of the Democratic Party.  This label was to
> marginalize me and my message. How could a woman have an original
> thought, or be working outside of our "two-party" system?
> However, when I started to hold the Democratic Party to the same
> standards that I held the Republican Party, support for my cause
> started to erode and the "left" started labeling me with the same
> slurs that the right used. I guess no one paid attention to me when
> I said that the issue of peace and people dying for no reason is
> not a matter of "right or left", but "right and wrong."
> I am deemed a radical because I believe that partisan politics
> should be left to the wayside when hundreds of thousands of people
> are dying for a war based on lies that is supported by Democrats
> and Republican alike. It amazes me that people who are sharp on the
> issues and can zero in like a laser beam on lies,
> misrepresentations, and political expediency when it comes to one
> party refuse to recognize it in their own party. Blind party
> loyalty is dangerous whatever side it occurs on. People of the
> world look on us Americans as jokes because we allow our political
> leaders so much murderous latitude and if we don’t find
> alternatives to this corrupt "two" party system our Representative
> Republic will die and be replaced with what we are rapidly
> descending into with nary a check or balance: a fascist corporate
> wasteland. I am demonized because I don’t see party affiliation or
> nationality when I look at a person, I see that person’s heart. If
> someone looks, dresses, acts, talks and votes like a Republican,
> then why do they deserve support just because he/she calls him/
> herself a Democrat?
> I have also reached the conclusion that if I am doing what I am
> [...]

  "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from
mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not
thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and
courageously uses his intelligence."

Albert Einstein