[Sosfbay-discuss] Economics Evolving

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Thu May 31 07:22:15 PDT 2007

Gerry Gras wrote:
> I found the following article interesting, because
> it talks about some current evolution in economists
> thinking, and it will probably affect government
> policies.
>
> "Hip Heterodoxy"
> "Neoclassical Economics still reigns, but its critics
> are gathering steam"
>
>      http://www.thenation.com/doc/20070611/hayes
>
> (Also in the June 11th issue, page 18.)

Gerry, that is an excellent article. It led me to make a few connected
observations.

Are Greens, in their critique of globalization and the corporate power
structure, making errors of the same type. That is not working on the
basis of observed phenomena but rather choosing to use only those
behaviors that fit a pre-conceived version of how the world works.
Things are much too complex to hold the view that all of retail is like
WalMart.

In fact, I tend to think of economic behavior in terms of the open
systems and flow structures that are used to describe the complex
behavior of ecological structures.

But then, political action is driven so much by anger or indignation and
it is hard to get angry about an open system. That is a luxury given
only to tenured professors and policy wonks.

--
"I find I have a great lot to learn – or unlearn. I seem to know far too much and this knowledge obscures the really significant facts, but I am getting on." -- Charles Rennie Mackintosh

Wesley C. Rolley
17211 Quail Court
Morgan Hill, CA 95037
(408)778-3024