[Sosfbay-discuss] December 1st Deadline -- Please sign petition to GPUS that you agree that Elaine Brown should be considered a national draft candidate for the GPUS presidential slot

Drew Johnson JamBoi at Greens.org
Sat Nov 24 12:48:19 PST 2007

I'm proud to have Elaine Brown run for our nomination for president.  I'll
be happy to sign her petition for GP-US nomination consideration! As Henry
points out signing this petition doesn't commit you. I recall that Greens
are able to sign multiple (think the max is 5) GP-US petitions for
candidates, so I encourage all who want to healthy competition for our
presidential nomination to sign onto this and other petitions of Green
candidates for GP-US presidential nominee.

Green is Action!
Drew Johnson

Subject: [G-C-F] December 1st Deadline -- Please sign petition to GPUS
that you agree that Elaine Brown should be considered a national draft
candidate for the GPUS presidential slot
From:    "henry duke" <henryduke2004 at yahoo.com>
Date:    Sat, November 24, 2007 11:39
To:      cal-forum at cagreens.org

"What Elaine Brown writes is so astonishing, at times it is even difficult
to believe she survived it. And yet she did, bringing us that amazing light
of the black woman's magical resilience, in the gloominess of our bitter
despair."
-Alice Walker
.
ACTION BACKGROUND December 1st Deadline:

Green Party Peoples/Friends/Fellow Travelers/Comrades,

Please send me your name and your state where you are a green party member
in good standing so that we can have by December 1st 100 names from at least
five different states who, while not necessarily endorsing Elaine Brown for
GPUS president, at least feel that the GPUS should consider her as a draft
candidate for our nomination.

-Henry Duke

ACTION

The petition you will attach your name to will be to this effect:

We the undersigned -- all green party members in good standing from our
respective states -- request that the GPUS consider Elaine Brown, former
Green Party Member for Mayor of New Brunswick Georgia, an official draft
candidate for the US presidential nomination and/or endorsement for this
same office.

1.	Henry Duke, Green Party of California
2.	Matthew Freiberg, Green Party of California
3.      Drew Johnson, Green Party of California

BACKGROUND

Elaine Brown amoungst top-runners Ralph Nader (4% national polling) and
Cynthia McKinney (0%) national polling, is the only serious GPUS draft
candidate for president who has both #1)a long consistent public record of
working for the public interest and against the racist prison- and
military-industrial complex and #2)an enduring green party membership of
Georgia and the US for over 3 years now, having run as a green party
candidate for the mayorship of Georgia's major port city of Brunswick before
coming under attack by the good ole boy network -- a network historically of
the democratic party -- and having her name removed from the ballot in the
white controlled but Black-majority town.

Here in Orange County, California we have been distributing her
autobiography of her experience in shaping the Black Panther party which led
ultimately to becoming the first Womyn chair of that organization and to
several local campaign runs, and it is a book which electrifies young people
and student leaders committed to peace, feminism, and social justice who see
Elaine as an embodiment of these values both inside and outside of
electoral politics which so many of our younger, working, and oppressed
people feel rightly disenfranchised from and cynical towards.

The book is

A Taste of Power, A Black Woman's Story

Kirkus Reviews called it:
"A stunning picture of a black woman's coming of age in America. Put it on
the shelf beside The Autobiography of Malcolm X"