[Sosfbay-discuss] Request for nomination as GPSCC delegate to GPUS prez nominating convention

WB4D23 at aol.com WB4D23 at aol.com
Tue Nov 27 20:32:13 PST 2007

Folks!  The deadline for County GP's to nominate backup  delegates and
alternates to the GPUS presidential nominating convention  scheduled to be held in
Chicago, Illinois July 10th-13th is Friday December  7th.  Our GPSCC general
membership meeting is Thursday December 6th.   Candidates in the February 5th
GPCA presidential preference Primary Election  have the same deadline to submit
lists of GPCA registered voters as their  delegates nominees.  To the extent
candidates do not collectively fill all  delegate and alternate positions,
County GPs need to have nominated additional  delegates and alternates.  You can
be on a candidate's list as well as seek  nomination from your County GP.  The
total delegation is intended to be  geographically balanced, gender balanced,
diversified, etc.  Although we do  not know the total number of California
nominating convention delegates, a good  guess is between 150-200 -- so each
County GP can nominate at least twice its  General Assembly delegates allocation
(GPSCC 4 x 2 = 8; x2 for alternates =  16).  We can expect that some volunteers
to be nominating convention  delegates will not actually attend.

As a member of the California GPUS National Committee  delegation -- which is
a two year position separate from being a delegate of the  nominating
convention -- I am expected to attend the GNC annual meeting... which  will be held
within the nominating convention schedule (not sure exactly how  this works).
I would like to make the same trip for both purposes.   For diaclosure
purposes, I have volunteered to be included in the Kent Mesplay  delegates slate, but
there is no certainty what percentage of the Primary vote  he or any other
candidate will receive, and it is the percentage of that vote  that determines
how many persons from any candidate's slate will be delegates  (or alternates).
 The California nominating convention delegates are  required to cast votes
in proportion to the primary election results on the  first ballot of the
convention regardless of who any individual candidate  supports.

PLEASE NOTE:  Registration, travel and lodging costs for  these meetings are
probably going to be in the $600-$1,000 range.  The  amount of any subsidy
from the GPCA budget is unknown at this time.  The  GPSCC will need to consider
at some point whether it wants to contribute to the  expenses of GPSCC members
who attend the GPUS nominating  convention.

Regardless, we need to make our County nominations at the next  meeting.

Warner