[Sosfbay-discuss] Democracy Café

Rob Means rob.means at electric-bikes.com
Fri Oct 12 08:35:57 PDT 2007

Another role I play in life is as board member of a local neighborhood
association.  On January 19, 2008, we'll be co-sponsoring a Democracy
Café.  Here's the website that describes the Democracy Café we are
organizing:
http://www.electric-bikes.com/cafe

Here are a few lines from the introduction:
The purpose of our Democracy Café is to explore possibilities for
increasing democracy and cooperation in Milpitas politics.  The
Sunnyhills Neighborhood Association (SNA) of Milpitas has written the
proposal for this Democracy Café to examine the question "What actions
can Milpitans take to create better democracy for ourselves"? Using the
World Café model, we'll provide an informal and relaxed environment that
celebrates and harnesses differences, yet also helps us see what
connects us.

Obviously, many of the ideas generated at this event will apply outside
Milpitas.  In the Support and Co-Sponsors section are guidelines for
co-sponsorship of the Café by other organizations.  Please take a look
to see if participation by anyone in your department would be
appropriate.

Also, we are seeking funding for the $3000 event.  Again, if you or
anyone you know finds this a worthy experiment in democracy, we would
appreciate a contribution of $30.

If you'd like to talk about this event or would like to arrange a
commitment, please contact me.

Rob Means, Treasurer
Sunnyhills Neighborhood Association
P. O. Box 360581, Milpitas, CA 95036-0581
408-262-0420      rob.means at electric-bikes.com
www.neighborhoodlink.com/milpitas/sunnyhills