[Sosfbay-discuss] Mike Honda on Impeachment

Rob Means rob.means at electric-bikes.com
Mon Sep 10 09:32:32 PDT 2007

The following letter to the editor was printed in the 9/6/07 issue of
The Milpitas Post under the caption "Calling Out Congressman".

Rob Means, Electro Ride Bikes and Scooters
408-262-8975   rob.means at electric-bikes.com
1421 Yellowstone Ave., Milpitas, CA 95035-6913
Discover cycling that's Easy, Safe, Fast - and FUN!
---

Dear Congressman Honda,

Your appearance at the Town Hall Meeting in Santa Clara revealed more by
what you didn't say than what you did say.

Before I could ask, you answered my question of why you are not
co-sponsoring House Resolution 333 which charges Dick Cheney with three
serious crimes.  Your answer: "We have a limited opportunity to do good
things for this country and a responsibility to govern, and bitter
impeachment proceedings will only further divide an already deeply
divided nation and grind all policy making to a halt."

That sounds like an excuse rather than a fact-based answer.  Let's start
with that last assertion that impeachment proceedings will halt policy
making.  The Republicans accomplished a lot while Clinton was on trial.
And by your own Power-Point presentation, your legislative agenda is
already grinding to a halt as it is blocked by Republicans in the Senate
and the White House.

I agree that we have a limited opportunity.  Just watch the movie "The
11th Hour" for a reality check on that one!  But you are blowing the
opportunity.  Your Democratic Party could have stopped funding for the
Iraq war and spying on Americans.  If you don't stop the Republican
administration, we are likely to see an attack on Iran before Bush
leaves office.

Finally, I agree that you have a responsibility to govern, that is, to
make rules that benefit the people of this country.  However, all your
rules follow from our original set of rules called the Constitution.
You (and my City Council members) have sworn an oath to defend the
Constitution from all enemies.  The Bush administration has authorized
the torture of thousands of captives, jailed Americans without due
process or access to counsel, and wiretapped of the phone calls and
e-mails of Americans without a warrant.  Is it not clear that these
crimes indicate enemies of the Constitution?  Or do you simply take your
oath lightly?

Rob Means
1421 Yellowstone Avenue
Milpitas, CA  95035-6913