[Sosfbay-discuss] Protesting Rumsfeld at Stanford

Drew Johnson JamBoi at Greens.org
Thu Sep 20 17:47:06 PDT 2007

Here's the text of the Merc LttE re: Von Rumsfeld:

http://www.mercurynews.com/opinion/ci_6945525
Rumsfeld counter to Stanford motto
>From the readers of the Mercury News
Article Launched: 09/20/2007 01:32:58 AM PDT

Rumsfeld counter

to Stanford motto

We write to express our deep concern at the appointment of Donald Rumsfeld
as a "distinguished visiting fellow" at the Hoover Institution. As members
of the Stanford community who see as part of its educational mission
having our country fulfill its highest ideals, we feel this appointment is
a clear diminishment of our institution's and indeed our country's values.
Rumsfeld bears major responsibility for condoning torture as an instrument
of national policy, for callous disregard of international law and for the
precipitous erosion of our civil liberties. While secretary of defense,
Rumsfeld knowingly deceived the American public in pushing for an
unnecessary war and a now disastrous military occupation. Furthermore, he
has done a disservice to democratic debate, an indispensable element in
educational and democratic institutions universally, by early on accusing
those who raised questions about this war of being unpatriotic and indeed
treasonous. Such a dampening of vigorous democratic discussion and
intellectual inquiry entirely contradicts Stanford University's motto:
"The wind of freedom blows." We are joined by 181 others signing this
letter. An online petition at www.petitiononline.
com/norummy/petition.html contains more than 1,800 signatures at the time
of this writing.

Paul Ehrlich
Bing Professor of Population Studies, Department of Biology Robert Sapolsky
John A. and Cynthia Fry Gunn Professor, Department
of Biological Sciences Debra Satz
Professor, Department of Philosophy

Stanford University