[Sosfbay-discuss] Another Interesting View From AlterNet for GP Consideration

Andrea Dorey andid at cagreens.org
Mon Sep 24 09:12:59 PDT 2007

 From "Why Does Everyone Bow Down to the Health Insurance Industry?"
by Barbara Ehrenreich.

The following is a thoughtful comment from  "peacelf" who vows to
vote for Kucinich or the Green Party presidential candidate:

But, if voting percentages are correct, candidates like Kucinich
don't have a chance because, just as our Democratic candidates are
weak or afraid to take on the health insurance industry, so are the
"liberals" weak and afraid to take on the political party candidates
by voting their consciences rather than the lesser of two evils.

Look, I'm not taunting liberals or progressives to get them to vote
for Kucinich,but this problem with voting against one's interests has
got to be addressed. I have heard liberals themselves explain how the
media manipulates our choices, how big business manipulates our
choices, how campaign finance manipulates our choices. If we know the
rich and powerful are forcing cards on us, why don't liberals pick a
different card?

If all the liberals and progressives voted their consciences, rather
than the media-manipulated "popular" candidates, then we would make a
statement that would reverberate throughout the DNC. They would have
to take notice if 1/3 or 1/2 of Dem voters voted for a Kucinich.

It takes great strength of character to vote for a "fringe"
candidate, the same strength it took blacks in the civil rights
movement, except the only people getting hurt in the struggle are the
uninsured. And, they already are hurting. But, they'd hurt less if
they thought the party that's supposed to care for them was trying to
change things.

He sure makes sense to me.
Andrea