[Sosfbay-discuss] [Fwd: We Can't Wait]

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 25 14:10:20 PDT 2007

FYI,

Action from the ACLU...

Gerry

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: We Can't Wait
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 14:00:32 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Anthony D. Romero, ACLU" <Executive_Director at aclu.org>
To: gerrygras at earthlink.net

We Can't Wait! Defend Freedom Now
http://action.aclu.org/  <clip>
Dear Gerald,

It's time for Congress to stop caving in and start standing up
to the Bush Administration.

Our "leaders" in Washington keep telling us to wait for a
more politically expedient time to restore our freedoms. Well, I have
a message for them: Don't Wait for '08! That's going
to be the ACLU's rallying cry during our critical 100-day campaign
demanding immediate action from Congress to restore our constitutional
rights.

With your help, we are going to put all 535 members of Congress on the
record by asking a simple question - Will you defend the Constitution?
And will you defend it now? Answering yes means standing up on four
critical issues: ending warrantless wiretapping, shutting down
Guantanamo Bay, restoring habeas corpus, and stopping torture.

Ask your member of Congress: Will you defend the Constitution?
http://action.aclu.org/  <clip>

Over the next 100 days, we'll bring the full force of the
ACLU's membership and activist base to bear on targeted members
of Congress who fail to defend freedom. This includes local newspaper
and radio ads, billboards and online strategies, and grassroots
pressure both online and offline with millions of Americans coming
together to demand action on these fundamental freedoms.

Our legislative advocates will work behind the scenes to press members
of Congress to commit to key legislation to restore habeas corpus,
close Guantanamo Bay, reverse the Military Commissions Act and
fix the so-called "Protect America Act" that allows
warrantless searches of innocent Americans. And, every time Congress
acts -- or fails to act -- we'll mobilize our more
than half-million ACLU members to take action.

So, please, ask your member of Congress: Will you defend the
Constitution?
http://action.aclu.org/  <clip>

We've already fired the first salvo in this campaign by running
ads in the hometown newspapers of Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid
demanding they stop acting like the President's sheep by following him
blindly. That was only the beginning. Now, we're insisting that
all members of Congress do the right thing and defend the
Constitution.

We've already put Congress on notice. They heard from hundreds
of thousands of angry activists when they failed to protect our
privacy by passing August's FISA-gutting legislation. Because of
that outcry, Congress is now claiming that they'll fix this
reckless legislation before it sunsets. And last week, the Senate came
within four votes of passing legislation to restore habeas corpus.

With your help, there is a very real chance that Congress will take
action to restore the Constitution in the next 100 days but only if we
keep the pressure on.

Don't Wait for '08 to end warrantless wiretapping, shut
down Guantanamo Bay, restore habeas corpus, and stop torture.
In the weeks and months ahead, this must be the agenda of those who
care about freedom. And, if we are going to produce genuine progress
on that agenda, we must create unrelenting pressure on a recalcitrant
Congress to act now -- Don't Wait for '08.

Now's the time. Ask your member of Congress: Will you defend the
Constitution?
http://action.aclu.org/  <clip>

You know what's at stake if we prolong restoring the
Constitution any longer. That's why I know we can count on you
to participate in this critical campaign.

Sincerely,
Anthony D. Romero
Executive Director
ACLU

P.S. The ACLU is going for broke. We won't let a single member
of Congress off the hook when it comes to abandoning the Constitution.
Our Don't Wait for '08 campaign needs your immediate
commitment. Please take a few minutes now to ask your member of
Congress: Will you defend the Constitution?
http://action.aclu.org/  <clip>

Then, watch for updates on which Members of Congress have made the
Commitment to the Constitution and news of how you can help us target
the ones who haven't.

<clip>