[Sosfbay-discuss] toll road objection to be appealed

Jim Doyle j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 11 13:48:34 PDT 2008

This statement came to me by way of the NRDC.
I am incensed that the appeal goes to the federal level.

In February, the California Coastal Commission objected to a proposed
six-lane toll road that would have cut straight through one of southern
California's most popular state parks -- San Onofre State Beach. After
14 hours of testimony and deliberation, the commission voted 8-2 to
reject the short-sighted and destructive highway plan. Commission staff
presented a comprehensive report showing that the toll road represents a
serious threat to San Onofre State Beach and violates numerous state
coastal policies. The toll road project is now on hold, as project
proponents appeal the commission's decision to the U.S. Secretary of
Commerce. More than two and a half million surfers, swimmers, campers,
kayakers, birders, anglers, cyclists and sunbathers visit the park every
year.