[Sosfbay-discuss] [G-C-F] US facing food rationing (NY Sun)

Tian Harter tnharter at aceweb.com
Mon Apr 21 12:43:29 PDT 2008

Definitely the price of imported rice has been rising at a dramatic rate
since Christmas.

Drew Johnson wrote:

> An anonymous high-tech professional writing on an investment Web site,
> Seeking Alpha, said he recently bought 10 50-pound bags of rice at Costco.
> "I am concerned that when the news of rice shortage spreads, there will be
> panic buying and the shelves will be empty in no time. I do not intend to
> cause a panic, and I am not speculating on rice to make profit. I am just
> hoarding some for my own consumption," he wrote.

The guy is clueless in suburbia. One 20 lb bag will probably last him years,
especially if he eats like a white guy. My guess is he will likely be
eating that stuff for the rest of his life, and there will probably be
quite a bit left then, unless he eats it every day from now till then.
Maybe he can clean up his personal karma by selling some soon...

I feel almost guilty about the amount of rice I have in the house right
now, something like 27 lbs, including the 20 lb. bag I got for $13 last
week. I thought that bordered on hording too much for good sense, and
I eat quite a bit of home cooked rice nowadays...

--
Tian
http://tian.greens.org