[Sosfbay-discuss] Earth Day in Morgan Hill.

Wes Rolley wrolley at refpub.com
Thu Apr 24 15:12:15 PDT 2008

(cross posted to GCF).

Morgan Hill, CA is a small city... well, hardly a city with a population
between 35 - 40 K.  One might call it an edge-city in Silicon Valley and
that fact is reflected in the number of people who commute North to work
(mostly by car) or the few companies that have moved South in order to
take advantage of lower sq ft lease prices.

In some ways, I don't think that the experiences in Morgan Hill
translate everywhere, but I was surprised at the extent to which the
City of Morgan Hill and the Morgan Hill Chamber of Commerce made an
event out of Earth Day.

To begin with, and I mean begin as this was the 1st time, Earth Day
activities took over the Community and Cultural Center.  There were
three divergent sets of activities going on.  Most notably, there was a
Sustainable Business Conference that was sponsored jointly by the City
Government and the Chamber of Commerce.  The emphasis was was on
resource reduction, with presentations from the water district and PG&E
as well as the Mayor, Steve Tate. Tate talked about the new
Environmental Agenda for the City of Morgan Hill.   About 18 companies
had people signed up.

The second set of activities were aimed at students involvement.  There
was a poster contest on an environmental theme and an exhibit of Science
Fair projects, followed by an awards presentation.  My only
disappointment came from the Science Fair as most of the entries seemed
to say that they had completed an assignment while none of them
indicated that the entrant had developed a real curiosity about the
subject at hand.

The final set of activities was a set of tables and displays from a few
companies (one was a bike company, another a landscape company who
featured low water landscaping) and governmental organizations (Bay Area
Air Quality Management District, Open Space Authority, Water District, etc.)

Following this, I would like to call attention to the fact that the
Chamber of Commerce has instituted a Sustainable Quality Award. Details
here: http://www.morganhill.org/SQA/2008/SQA%202008%20PRESS%20RELEASE.pdf

The active participation of the Chamber of Commerce seems to say that a
few companies have gotten serious.  In this, they seem to diverge from
the pattern of the California Chambers of Commerce.  Note: Criticism of
the Chambers by Planning and Conservation League's Mindy McIntyre.
http://www.californiaprogressreport.com/2008/02/california_cham_1.html

All in all, it was a good beginning and worth replicating in other
communities.