[Sosfbay-discuss] Bike-friendly downtown San Jose proposal

Drew Johnson JamBoi at Greens.org
Tue Aug 26 08:46:56 PDT 2008

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_10300289

Councilman unveils plan to make downtown San Jose more bike-friendly
DOWNTOWN S.J. BIKE PLAN PROPOSED
By Julia Prodis Sulek
Mercury News
Article Launched: 08/25/2008 05:08:36 PM PDT

Trying to entice more commuters to hop on bikes and leave their cars at
home, San Jose City Councilman Sam Liccardo is pitching a plan to alter
downtown streets to make biking safer and more convenient.

The proposal calls for separating bicyclists from traffic by building
physical barriers, using shrubbery or curbs for instance, making more bike
racks available at public events, and hiring a private company to pilot a
European-style "bike share" program, with bike rentals at light-rail
stations.

"People don't use bicycles as a commute option because they don't feel
safe on our roads," said Liccardo, who represents the downtown area. "So
the first of these three elements — segregating the bike lane from the
rest of traffic along key corridors in downtown — is critical."

With the support of Councilman Forrest Williams and Mayor Chuck Reed,
whose "green vision" for the city includes alternative transportation, the
plan would focus on the downtown area. Segregated bike trails would run
along one side of the road and connect San Jose State University with City
Hall, the Diridon train station and major downtown businesses, including
Adobe Systems. Possible corridors include San Fernando, South Seventh and
North Fourth streets.

"If we're really going to move the needle, to encourage people to change
their commuting habits, it seems to me it's less about building trails and
lanes to far-flung places in the county as much as it
is focusing on those locations that we know are key destinations for
people," said Liccardo, whose proposal will be considered Wednesday by the
city's Rules and Open Government Committee. Its next step could be an
airing by the city council next month.

Local bicyclists are heralding the idea, calling it a "huge step" forward.

"All those things they want to implement — that would make it so much
nicer," said Warren Jenkins, who rides his single-speed, green Schwinn
from downtown to his job at Recycle Bookstore on The Alameda. "The way
things are going with cars and gasoline prices, human power is going to be
a lot more prominent. It's part of the solution, right?"

The "bike share" program, similar to luggage cart rentals at airports,
would allow commuters to use a token or credit card to borrow bikes from a
light-rail station to get to work, then return it when they get on the
train home.

Corinne Winter, executive director of Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition,
commended city leaders for being innovative.

"Every year we're seeing more people get on their bikes," she said.
"What's happening is that the transit facilities were built to handle a
certain number of riders. The demand is surpassing that."

Liccardo doesn't have a price tag yet for his plan, but he suggests using
"largely untapped" federal funding as well as Valley Transportation
Authority money to build the network of barricaded bike lanes.

"We're looking at a modest pilot program," Liccardo said. "The cost will
depend on how many corridors we identify and for how many miles."

With commuters paying $4 a gallon for gas, he said, "this is a real
opportunity to encourage people to change their commuting habits."

Contact Julia Prodis Sulek at jsulek at mercurynews.com.