[Sosfbay-discuss] Gaza Catastrophe

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Sat Dec 6 10:42:22 PST 2008

Gerry, in an amplification of this issue, let me state that I am very
disappointed in the fact that Samantha Power has not (yet?) gotten a
position in the Obama administration.  The insights that she reveals in
her biography of Sergio Vieira de Mello are needed now more than ever.
Sergio was the Lead UN Diplomat in Baghdad who was killed in the truck
bomb attack that caused the UN to pull everyone out of there.  His
history was that of working in the center of conflicts: Lebanon,
Cambodia, East Timor, Bosnia / Sarajevo and then Iraq.

The key perception from Vieira de Mello and Power was that for the UN to
be "even handed" and "firmly objective" is these situations was, in
fact, to side with those who already held Power.  His actions in Bosnia
finally came to becoming active in such efforts as using the cover of UN
trucks, etc. to smuggle threatened dissident out of Sarajevo, etc.

In this situation in Gaza, I feel he would have been "objective" in his
public pronouncements and working his ass off behind the scenes on
forcing resolutions / freeing captives, etc. We lost a potentially great
Secretary General.

All of this brings me to wonder what stance Hillary will take, minus the
input from Samantha.