[Sosfbay-discuss] Bank of America and Republic Windows and Doors

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Mon Dec 8 13:50:11 PST 2008

There has been a lot of chatter about the closing of Republic Windows
and Doors in Chicago and the role of Bank of America in doing this.
Most of it has been a knee jerk reaction to the situation for political
gain without thinking things through very carefully.  In particular,
much of this comes from those who would curry the favor of the labor
unions involved.

I think that it is odd to criticize the Bank of America for risky
lending practices involved with real estate loans and then to turn
around and criticize them for not lending more money to a failed company
just to satisfy a social need.  The argument goes that B of A received
bailout money so they should have made that bailout money available to
Republic.  If that were the case, why should not the government have
done this directly and skipped the middleman?

Bank of America has a lot that it should be criticized for.  It also has
a lot that it should  be praised for.  Lisa Tailor sent me a notice that
outlined B of A's new policy on coal and their decision NOT to lend any
money to energy companies that practice mountain top removal mining.
Hurray for B of A.

The specific situation in Chicago shows that there is a lot of blame to
go around.  Not the least is that the company was either arrogant about
what they could do or was ignorant of their dire situation... or both.
But, you can not squeeze $$ from a failed corporation and so everyone
goes after B of A.

B of A was probably remiss in not having a closer feel for the real
situation with Republic, so that this would not have been a surprise.
Still, I do not think that they should have been blamed for not lending
money to a company that they felt would not be able to pay it back.

These cases are hard.  The news we get is not reliable... only spin from
both sides.  There is a case to be made here for some sort of moral
response but it has to be bigger than just the "the bank screwed us to
go get 'em."

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente

Wes Rolley
17211 Quail Court, Morgan Hill, CA 95037
http://www.refpub.com/ -- Tel: 408.778.3024