[Sosfbay-discuss] San Jose City - Planning Commission - I applied today

Drew Johnson JamBoi at Greens.org
Fri Dec 19 00:20:37 PST 2008

Fantastic Roy!

I served for a year on Sunnyvale's Housing and Human Services Commission.

I would also suggest applying for at least a second if not a third choice
since the Planning Commission is probably the most difficult to get onto
(it has more power via its recommendations than probably any other
commission).  If you don't get Planning Commission you could serve a year
on another one and then ask for a transfer (check SJ's policy on this --
Sunnyvale allows this, but SJ may or may not).

I would start reading the notes for the past commission meetings, and try
to learn more about the different commissioners that you'll be working
with.  I would definitely get to all the upcoming commission meetings, and
probably to a City Council meeting or two just to get an idea of the
current 'lay of the land'.

Also reading doing research re: SJ Planning Commission issues with
http://tinyurl.com/SJPlanningCommission,  on SJMercury.com,
MetroActive.com and any other good website's covering SJ issues.

Green is Engaged!

Drew