[Sosfbay-discuss] Let's Talk About Race? NO! Let's Not

Andrea Dorey andid at cagreens.org
Mon Feb 11 13:10:25 PST 2008

Here's another interesting perspective, Alex.
Have you seen this from TOM PAINE, blog by David Sirota writing about
the 2008 Class War?  What's your take on his comments?

---------------------------------
The two taboo subjects in American politics, class and race, are now
front and center in the Democratic nominating contest. As my new
nationally syndicated newspaper column shows, the former is driving
voting behavior and the biases against the latter are making it more
difficult for Barack Obama to court lower-income voters.

Exit polls show Hillary Clinton winning votes from those making under
$50,000 a year. She is the candidate of NAFTA, the candidate on the
cover of Fortune magazine, the candidate of Big Money. And yet, she
is winning the working class. Much of that, as I say, has to do with
Obama not running an economically populist or class-based campaign.
He simply hasn't been appealing to working-class voters in any direct
way.

That tactical decision, of course, has at least something to do with
the fact that Obama, too, raises huge amounts of corporate cash—cash
that would not necessarily come to him if he started talking about
corporate power, inequality and greed.

But the decision also likely has to do with the fact that Obama knows
that if he voiced a more full-throated populism, he would be depicted
in the media as a race-centric candidate—even if his populism was
race-blind. As my column shows, power-challenging African-American
politicians have been marginalized in this way for the better part of
a half century. The moment a black leader talks about class or
threatens the Establishment, he or she is billed as a race-centric
radical.

The best contemporary example of this came from Time Magazine's Joe
Klein. In a 2006 column that no one other than the blogosphere
flagged as wildly offensive, Klein called populist Rep. John Conyers as:

"An African American of a certain age and ideology, easily
stereotyped [and] one of the ancient band of left-liberals who grew
up in the angry hothouse of inner-city, racial-preference politics."

<clip>

The problem for Obama is the big states coming up in the contest. As
National Journal's Ron Brownstein reports, the key contests on March
4th are Texas and Ohio. "In both states, the upscale white voters who
have bolstered Obama are scarce," Brownstein reports. Put another
way, Obama needs to make some sort of populist pitch to speak
directly to these voters, but is constrained by his knowledge that
the media and the Clinton machine will quickly label him "the black
candidate" if he does just that.

That last point about the Clintons is very important. It was no
coincidence that the moment Obama started talking about NAFTA and
class in South Carolina, Bill Clinton made an unprompted remark
likening Obama to Jesse Jackson, and an unnamed Clinton aide told the
Associated Press Obama is "the black candidate." The Clintons are
playing an ugly game.