[Sosfbay-discuss] Rapid Bus, BART, High-Speed Rail

Edward the_alliance47 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 06:45:23 PDT 2008

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_9906067

That is an article about a proposed tax for extending BART down to San
Jose. It will generate $42 million per year, which will almost cover
the $50 million it takes to operate the extension annually but will
only kick in once the federal and state governments fulfill their
promise of $1 billion to the BART extension project (so far they've
only given half the amount).

Proponents are afraid the proposition will not pass this November due
to a $10 billion bond for high speed rail and a bad economy.

What I fail to see is the problem with the $10 billion for high speed
rail. Compared to other industrialized countries, the United States is
about half a century behind when it comes to rail transport. $10
billion breaks down to $10 per person per year. It is also much less
than the $20+ billion we will need to spend on road and airport
expansions in the next 25 years without high speed rail. If people can
spend over $10 to watch a movie, I am sure they can afford to see one
less movie every year to fund reducing global warming.

I may be preaching to the choir, but what are your thoughts about BART and high speed rail?

-Edward