[Sosfbay-discuss] eCFL not as green as we thought

Edward the_alliance47 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 31 06:16:08 PDT 2008

CNN article: http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/07/27/eco.flourescent/index.html

Save energy -- two words that have rapidly become a modern day mantra.
But some are now asking, at what cost? One person asking that question
is City University of Hong Kong's
professor Ron Hui, chairman of the electronic engineering department,
and co-author of a recent paper published in a peer-reviewed journal on
the environmental impact of fluorescent lighting. Hui has a
problem with compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs), specifically
electronic ones. He wants them out of people's homes as much as an
increasing number of governments around the world want incandescent
light bulbs out of our homes. Hui wants them replaced by magnetic CFLs
instead. Why? CNN spoke recently with Professor Hui.

-Edward