[Sosfbay-discuss] Deadlines for voting in June Primary?

WB4D23 at aol.com WB4D23 at aol.com
Mon Mar 3 10:20:54 PST 2008

In a message dated 3/1/2008 6:16:35 PM Pacific Standard Time,
gerrygras at earthlink.net writes:

If  someone wanted to sign a petition for a Green
candidate, could they switch  to Green now and
back to D later in time for the D primary,
and  apparently the answer is no.

Gerry

My recollection is that one can register to vote in an  election in
California up to fifteen (15) days before the election.  As a  general rule, I would
not want individuals to register Green just for the  purpose of qualifying
someone onto our Primary Election ballot when you know  they do not intend to do so
for any other reason.  This is exactly one of  the tactics that can be used
to put "ringers" and "sabateurs" on our ballot and  is another example of our
vulnerability as a small party where we do not have a  NOTA option and often
have only one candidate (if any) on our Primary Election  ballot.  Warner