[Sosfbay-discuss] GP Concerns? Deadline 3/27!!

Andrea Dorey andid at cagreens.org
Fri Mar 14 19:08:16 PDT 2008

Wes,
The EAA (Electric Auto Assn) has been very successful in heading off
proposed cut backs in Zero Emissions in the past by attending
hearings and testifying, but this latest proposal looks like a tough
one, meant to "disappear" electric cars, unless we can get the public
to get enraged about these continuous attacks on the Zero Emissions
standards that California has attempted to set in spite of the ARB,
the EPA, and Washington, D.C.   (This, in spite of the fact that
Tesla Motors is starting their delivery of their hot new roadster
energized entirely by lithium batteries, 0-60 in 3 seconds, 200 miles
or more between recharges.

DC recently stated that California does not have "special
circumstances" that require a higher standard set than that of the
Federal's.  (Really?  Aren't we the state with the highest pollution
levels due in part to excesses by agribusiness?)

Interesting, isn't it?  Once we celebrated when a state not only
obeyed the Federal standard but over and above it.  Now the states
are being constrained by those standards.

BTW, ZEV includes the Fuel Cell cars which to date require 6 barrels
of oil to produce the hydrogen that will replace one barrel of oil.
It's strange, but at the heart of any alternative energy car is an
electric car that outperforms ANY other system added to it: whether
fuel cell, biodiesel, methane, internal combustion engine, etc.

The energy delivery corporations would rather bury us in tar than see
any of us drive electric cars using virtually free energy from the
sun from our PV-tiled roofs. Even Toyota, with its successful Prius
hybrid, refuses to create a plug-in attachment to change your hybrid
into a part-time electric car, easily capable of driving at least 40
miles on its electrics.  We now have 7 of those Prius hybrids,
adapted with plug-in capability by EAA members, happily driving
around the Bay Area with "100 miles+" painted on their sides.  Well,
Toyota????
Andi