[Sosfbay-discuss] One candidate race = democracy?

Edward the_alliance47 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 28 17:35:01 PDT 2008

I'm sure many people in State Senator Abel Maldonado's district have heard the bad news. The filing deadline for the June primaries came and went and there is only ONE candidate on the ballot in June. Not even the Democrats bothered to run somebody.

We still have a chance to run someone through a write-in campaign. S/he would only need like 3900 votes in June to qualify as the party's nominee in November. Plus, s/he does not have to be a party member and can seek the nomination of as many parties as s/he wants. Essentially, this candidate can seek the nomination of the Democratic, Green, and Peace & Freedom parties.

I wouldn't say we're in it to win it, we should just run someone to give people a choice. Even an authoritarian regime like the People's Republic of China offers people multiple candidates in township elections.

I checked the websites for Santa Cruz, Monterey, and San Luis Obispo Greens to gauge if they could run a candidate. The first two don't seem like they have built enough momentum as a county (although Monterey will be having their first meeting in April) so it would be up to Santa Clara and SLO Greens. I think we should maybe sit down with the delegates from SLO next weekend to see who we can potentially persuade to run.

I will also try subscribing to listservs for the respective counties' Democratic Party to see what they are talking about, if anything.

-edward

PS. Check out this map (http://www.sen.ca.gov/ftp/SEN/senplan/PDF_SD_ATLAS/SD15_NEW_SJ.PDF) to see if you're in the district.