[Sosfbay-discuss] My Op-Ed Posted on The Black Commentator

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Thu May 22 09:15:47 PDT 2008

Dear Green Friends,

The Black Commentator posted my op-ed on Clinton-Obama "Race Talk" today.  This is a variation of one that was posted on the Los Angeles Times web site recently, except that this one is more hard-hitting about the double-talking antics of Los Angeles' race-obsessed intelligentsia.

Please note that they *DID* print my pitch for the Green Party in the last paragraph.

Alex Walker
Los Angeles Greens

=  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =

Posted on The Black Commentator, May 22, 2008

Dissent: No More Race Talk

By Alex Walker

This election is not about race.

I repeat, this election is not about race.

This election is about the worst president in U.S. history: George W. Bush.

On the eve of the latest presidential primaries, the high-minded, high-faluting, so-called-liberal New York Times published an editorial titled “Mr. Obama and Rev. Wright.”

The NYT declared "this country needs a healthy and open discussion of race."

My hometown Los Angeles Times followed suit with "The Wright Choice" - observing that the issue of race:

... which invokes fundamental questions about the role of government and the distribution of wealth, is something the candidates should be discussing...

No!

Candidates should be discussing the war, healthcare, schools and the catastrophic failure of Bush's so-called conservatism. . .

Our race-obsessed Los Angeles intellectuals were delighted by Obama's failure.

Anthony Asadullah Samad, PhD (with a name like that and a PhD he must be an expert), declared "Race Trumps Change"
Race is America and America is (and always has been about) Race. While race (and gender) has tried to be subordinated to the politics of hope and change - even to the extent of this Presidential campaign was (is) being called, 'the age of post-racial politics,' ... race is poised to trump change, in hopes that things don't change - but remain the same.”

Jasmyne Cannick, nationally famous LGBT activist wrote in The Los Angeles Sentinel that "The White Man's Burden is Not the Black Man's Responsibility":

Well I guess on the bright side of things, there should be no more questions about whether or not Senator Barack Obama is a Christian... It seems that it's not enough that we've adopted their religion and most Blacks are worshiping to their White blue-eyed Jesus, but now they want to dictate the message that we receive as well. And in the process, they've backed Obama against a wall forcing him to publicly distance himself from his pastor in order to prove that he's not an angry Black man in disguise...

Brothers and sisters outside Los Angeles do not know this, but Ms. Cannick's "day job" is in the office of California State Assemblyman Mervyn Dymally. Mr. Dymally is supporting Hillary Clinton for president. Ms. Cannick is also a big fan of Los Angeles Congresswoman Laura Richardson. Ms. Richardson is not only supporting Hillary, but went out of her way to campaign against Barack in Ohio.

Of course, citizens have every right to support Sen. Clinton - on real issues. After all, there is not that much difference between Clinton and Obama. However, these race games are disgusting. . .

One reason I left the Democrats and joined the California Green Party was because I am one African American who is sick and tired of the race games of the old politics. If Barack sincerely wants to transform U.S. politics, it's already clear Democratic and Republican politicians, preachers, and intellectuals won't let him. The Boston Globe was more honest than most in their editorial: "The Illinois senator has made a career ... of promoting common understanding. ... To see those efforts bogging down in the same old swamp is just depressing."