[Sosfbay-discuss] Angry San Martin Seeks Freedom

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Thu May 29 10:43:39 PDT 2008

This is  a case where every one lies and everyone is taking the position
of getting all they can from the process and who cares about the citizens.

To start with, the San Martin Neighborhood Alliance has gone forward
with a significant amount of falsified information (economic projections
without substantiation, lists of "supporters" where the "supporter" did
not know that they had signed on to anything and, in fact, opposed
incorporation.  As for the economic projections, the Neighborhood
Alliance hired an "independent" consultant, fed their own (IMO) overly
optimistic assumptions  to the consultant and then were happy when the
consultant parroted them back.

The County Government has taken the position that incorporation is a net
loss or revenue to the county government and thus must be recovered.

Even the Arts Council of Silicon Valley has opposed the annexation in
that they might lose the Transient Occupancy (hotel) Tax that is a major
source of their funding coming from the CordeValle golf club / resort.

There is a lot of good information here. http://www.santaclara.lafco.ca.gov/

I would also suggest reading this letter to the editor as an example of
the ongoing sloppiness throughout the process: Neighborhood Alliance,
County Planning Department, etc. as well as the political considerations
that influence the supervisors.
http://www.morganhilltimes.com/opinion/233694-supervisor-plays-both-sides-and-doesnt-have-his-facts-straight

Basically, I would favor incorporation, but only after all of the
potential problems are resolved including full, truthful statements from
the Neighborhood Alliance.

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente

Wes Rolley
17211 Quail Court, Morgan Hill, CA 95037
http://www.refpub.com/ -- Tel: 408.778.3024