[Sosfbay-discuss] I vote Dave Cortese for County Supervisor (3rd District)

Rob Means rob.means at electric-bikes.com
Fri May 30 07:47:20 PDT 2008

Drew's posting for Otto Lee prompts this response.  It's a letter to the
Milpitas Post that was published a few weeks ago.

Rob Means, Electro Ride Bikes and Scooters
408-262-8975   rob.means at electric-bikes.com
1421 Yellowstone Ave., Milpitas, CA 95035-6913
Discover cycling that's Easy, Safe, Fast - and FUN!
---

Letter to Editor of the Milpitas Post

The Chamber of Commerce deserves our thanks for bringing the candidates
for County Supervisor together in a public forum.  Although I attended
with a favorite already in mind, I was pleased to see how blessed we are
with these three candidates.

Our Mayor Esteves brings a sense of ethics and enthusiasm for our city
and valley to the contest.  He comes across as a nice guy with his heart
in the right place.  I respect his willingness to champion Milpitas.

Sunnyvale Councilman Otto Lee is young (40) and energetic.  I'm
impressed by his openness to new and innovative ideas.  His background,
which includes a stretch with the Navy, is surprisingly broad.  If he
misses in this election, I hope to get another opportunity to vote for
him.

This year, however, I'll vote for San Jose vice-mayor Dave Cortese.
Although long experience in elected office is often a negative in my
book, Dave's strategic experience, expertise, and dedication will serve
us well over the next few years.  Besides his many years on the San Jose
City Council, he spent several years as Board of Education member and
VTA Board member - both key areas to creating a high quality of life.
More importantly, perhaps, he has extensive regional experience (ABAG
and MTC) that could prove valuable in funneling federal infrastructure
funds into our County.

My initial inclination to support Dave arose because his wife often
attends an interfaith church that I hold dear.  Then, at his campaign
kick-off meeting, I sensed his humility and dedication to the people and
environment of this valley.  It inspired me to walk a precinct for him.
At the Democracy Cafe, his commitment to neighborhood associations was
apparent.  Now, after seeing him at the candidates forum, I'll even
planning make campaign phone calls on his behalf (my apologies in
advance for those of you who dislike receiving them).

With three strong candidates, it is unlikely that one will emerge with
50% of the vote - and be declared the winner.  More likely is that the
top two candidates will be forced into an expensive time-intensive
run-off in November.  Instant Runoff Voting (IRV) would save that
expense and delay, but we haven't implemented it yet.  Let me make a
suggestion.  If you think your candidate is the weakest of the three,
please vote for one of the stronger candidates.  With luck, one of them
could win in June, and start working toward implementing their goals
five months early.  Imagine the value of that headstart in these
fast-changing times.

Rob Means
1421 Yellowstone Avenue
Milpitas, CA  95035-6913