[Sosfbay-discuss] Latest MH Times Column. - Climate change highlights importance of water conservation

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Fri May 30 09:25:52 PDT 2008

*Climate change highlights importance of water conservation*
May 27, 2008
 By Wes Rolley <mailto:editor at morganhilltimes.com>

My wife and I have just started to eliminate all grass in my front yard
with the intention of replacing it with permeable landscaping. By that I
mean a mixture of walking paths and mulch, decorative as it can be, but
natural material to prevent evaporative loss of the water that nature
gives us. The reasons for doing this are simple.

Since November, I have served as co-chairman of an EcoAction Committee,
Green Party US. While that fact may shape how you interpret what I
write, I mention it because being in that role has caused me to spend
more time trying to understand just what is really happening with global
warming. The conclusions that global warming is real and that we have
caused it are inescapable. The current CO2 accumulation in the
atmosphere is significantly greater than at any time in the last 625
thousand years and increasing at an unprecedented rate.

More importantly, I have had to take what I have learned and try to
figure out how my new understandings should be used to governing what I
do as an individual as well as what we collectively should be doing asa
political, economic society. Some may welcome a general warming of the
planet. It might mean that you could start producing extraordinary
zinfandels in British Columbia, goodness if you are Canadian, but not if
you are in California. If there is one segment of our economy that needs
pay special attention to what really is happening, it is agriculture.
Specifically, the type of crops that are economically viable on any
given property will change. The mix of temperature, direct rainfall and
availability of water for irrigation are going to change and with it
agriculture must change if it wants to remain economically competitive.

Dr. Jonathan Overpeck is the director of the Institute for the Study of
Planet Earth at the University of Arizona. He testified May 14 before
the House Committee on Science and Technology that "The outlook for
climate-related changes in U.S. water supply is not positive,
particularly in the West, Southwest, Texas and into the Southeast."

We have experienced two years of below normal rainfall. If Overpeck is
correct, we need to be acting as if these past two years are, at best,
the new normal, or may even represent above normal rainfall. The
implications of this may be profound. While I don't profess to be able
to outline all of them, a few things are obvious. We need to make water
conservation a habit of life, beginning now. That is the reason we are
making the changes to our landscaping. There is not going to be a
single, big thing that government can do to save us from ourselves. It
will be the cumulative effect of millions of little decisions coalesced
into habits that will save us from ourselves.

The timing of our change is fortuitous in that the Santa Clara Valley
Water District is providing a rebate of up to $1,000 to defray the costs
of these changes and the City of Morgan Hill will presently match that.

According to the formula, $75 will be paid for each 100 square feet of
lawn that is converted up to $1,000 ($15 up to $2,000 in Morgan Hill.)

The Morgan Hill contribution to this program is up for renewal, and
tentatively scheduled for action by the council in June. They should
renew it as not doing so at this time would signal that water
conservation is not longer a high priority. A seemingly small decision
with costly consequences.

A second obvious fact is that the impacts of climate change need to
become part of the long range planning for every water agency in the
West. At least that effort is beginning on the California state level
with a meeting recently of a state Water Plan Climate Change Technical
Advisory Group. I will provide more on this as it becomes public.

Finally, we should have an expectation of higher water rates. I know
that much of the opposition rhetoric in the last election focused on
water rates and the fact that challengers to water district director
Rosemary Kamei did not think that the district adequately controlled
costs. I am not referring to that. It is a fact that the funding of
public infrastructure, such as water systems, will have to change as
individual usage drops. The infrastructure costs will continue to rise
and have to be recovered from those who are using it less. We see the
same thing with transportation where bridge costs remain flat or
continue to rise while usage is declining due to gasoline prices.

While we have the right to expect the district to be managed
effectively, we should not conclude that all rate increases are the
result of poor cost management. It may be difficult for the public to
sort this out. We need our newspapers, the Times, the Dispatch and the
Mercury News to keep us adequately informed. But most of all, we need to
be water wise.

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente

Wes Rolley
17211 Quail Court, Morgan Hill, CA 95037
http://www.refpub.com/ -- Tel: 408.778.3024