[Sosfbay-discuss] Fw: Re: Some jarring stats

Eric A Meece eameece at california.com
Mon Nov 10 22:58:32 PST 2008

I think Peter Myers did pretty well all things considered. I think the Obama victory will be good for Greens. Bush was not. Liberal-inclined folk were too scared to vote Green because of the horrible enormity of the Bush disaster, which it truly was-- to an unprecedented degree. He was by far the worst president ever. People were too scared of Republicans and their extreme ideology to risk voting Green. Now that this threat is somewhat diminished, people will feel freer to express their true values when voting, just as they had been to some degree before Bush. The country will be moving at least back to the center, and that means the possibility exists for more energy and ideas getting a hearing on the left. Greens can fulfill a role of encouraging and informing the country of where we need to go.

I like Caroline's suggestions. I also think we can be more effective if we get a good lobbying committee and add to the pressure on our politicians to do the right things. Greens can demonstrate and carry signs, and I do too sometimes; but I'm a bit tired of yelling and not being heard. Anything we can do to educate the people about things like climate change and energy alternatives would fulfill our purpose as Greens. The fate of Prop 10 shows just how far we still need to go; the people don't seem to get it, even after all that has been told to them.

The system is stacked against 3rd parties. The famous former conservative commentator Kevin Phillips said on Bill Moyers that if the people continue to be frustrated, they will continue to desert the major parties, which already have less power to shape events than they used to have.

We are the only developed country to have an elected king system. Other nations have parliamentary democracies with proportional representation for many parties that give their people a place at the table. This even includes the system that Bush and Co. set up in conquered Iraq. Eventually it will dawn on Americans that our system is not the "best in the world," but grossly outdated; a leftover from the late 18th century and a model that was not copied by republics that emerged later.

King George is dead. Long live King Barack!

Eric the Green