[Sosfbay-discuss] A lesson in local politics

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Sat Oct 4 15:38:52 PDT 2008

I think that the city council race in Morgan Hill is worth watching to
see what it takes to get elected.

 From Friday's Morgan Hill Times, an article
<http://www.morganhilltimes.com/news/249065-challenger-faces-incumbents-for-two-city-council-seats>
by new reporter Natalie Everett.
> Challenger faces incumbents for two city council seats
> Oct 2, 2008
>  By Natalie Everett <mailto:neverett at morganhilltimes.com>
>
> The race for the two open seats on Morgan Hill City Council might at
> first glance seem a yawn: two incumbents running against someone with
> little civil experience - and no experience as an elected official.
>
> But look again: that someone - Marilyn Librers - has a long presence
> in the Morgan Hill business community and has raised $5,000 for her
> campaign. Second-term Councilman Larry Carr has raised $3,000. And
> first-term Councilman Mark Grzan has raised no money.
I bring this up, because the differences in style and organizational
background may point to what works well and what does not, especially in
this part of the county.

We need to start looking at the degree to which one of these fails to
succeed.  I will note that I asked some questions of the two incumbents,
Grzan and Carr.  Grzan answered quickly, with enthusiasm, but not very
clearly.  Carr did not answer until after I dinged him for it in my most
recent column.  When he did, it was very direct and showed that he had
paid attention to what I asked... As noted in the Natalie's story, Grzan
and Carr make up the Utilities and Environment Committee on the City
Council.

This may become even more important as Don Gage will be termed out of
his supervisor's seat in 2010 and we need to consider having a Green run
for that seat, or that of any other supervisor who gets termed out.

Wes

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente

Wes Rolley
17211 Quail Court, Morgan Hill, CA 95037
http://www.refpub.com/ -- Tel: 408.778.3024