[Sosfbay-discuss] propositions

Eric A Meece eameece at california.com
Wed Oct 8 13:16:31 PDT 2008

Have the state propositions been discussed here? Other measures and endorsements? Has the county party made any endorsements? Have the state endorsements been posted here?

I dunno, but sometimes I post my own comments. So, subject to change, here is what I think now. Comments welcome.

State propositions

Prop.1 Yes. I am inclined to support it because we need alternatives to airplanes and cars. How are we going to fuel our airplanes if oil becomes ever more expensive and we need to switch away from it? City to city high speed rail is not all we need, but everything helps, especially if Obama is not going to be as committed to ending fossil fuel use as we Greens might wish, as his statements in yesterday's debate indicate.
On the other hand, there are questions about whether the bond money will cover the costs, or if it might be spent without getting the job done.

Prop.2 YES. Mistreating farm animals is unacceptable. Thanks to whoever put this one on.

Prop.3 No. Our financial condition makes too many bond proposals a problem. It seems unnecessary; these institutions are not starved for funds.

Prop.4 No. This measure has been twice defeated. It makes unsafe abortions more likely among minors.

Prop.5 Yes. Treating drug-law offenders instead of putting them in jail is a good idea. It's worth paying for it.

Prop.6 NO. The legislature has too many mandates now. Police is not a higher priority than others. This prop. also increases life sentences for some gang-related crimes. Seems too harsh.

Prop.7 leaning no, but undecided. The main provision of this prop. is not what the ads say. It is a good idea to require publically owned power companies to get more power from renewable resources. The problem is the provision requiring that they buy power from companies with a capacity of 30 megawatts or more. See page 125 of the pamphlet. These companies say that hurts their competitive position. As far as I can tell, these small companies could still sell to private utilities. However, more utilities might become publically-owned, including SF. On balance, since the state Green Party and the NRDC are against it, as well as other green organizations, I am leaning no. But I think this one requires careful thought from Greens and green-inclined voters. The energy companies are also against this, and funding the excessive ads against it; and that gives one pause too.

Prop.8 NO Equal rights for gay couples, please.

Prop.9 No. It sounds reasonable until you look deeper. I am troubled that defendants would not under this law have the right to require victims to testify before the trial, or provide other evidence or records needed by the defense. I am concerned that requiring ALL victims to receive restitution from ALL defendants is too harsh. I am concerned that local governments might not be able to release prisoners to avoid overcrowding. Families already have the right to testify at parole hearings, but this measure allows anyone and everyone who wants to, to testify. It also makes colleges "protected" from criminals as well as other schools. This could increase the burden on sex offenders according to the law recently passed which requires most of them to live outside cities. All in all, although I don't want criminals to get off easy, our state is already real tough on crime; tough enough, and our jails and our jail business are already too big, and this is very expensive too. This prop would increase that expense.

Prop.10 YES, by all means. The state needs to help people buy alternative vehicles, and needs to fund energy alternatives. We can't depend on Obama to do all of this, or Arnold either.

Prop.11 Yes. We ought to take away redistricting away from the politicians. It seems fair that representatives of neither party are included in the process as well as the Demoplicans. That would include Greens, I would think. I even voted for Arnold's proposal a few years ago; this one is better.

Prop.12 No. We have enough bonds to pay off already, and farm and home aid to veterans is not necessary. Everybody likes veterans; what about the rest of us who didn't fight America's mostly-unnecessary wars?

Local measures:

A yes. We need our hospitals to keep operating and to help replace our lost downtown San Jose hospital.

B leaning yes. I was originalloy leaning no. I know BART is big, and we need more support for local systems. But I also feel a part of the Bay Area. I voted against the last sales tax increase. This one is more reasonable, only 1/8. Public transit is important. Opposing comments welcome; I am amenable.

C and D Yes.

San Jose: J though M yes.

Political office endorsements:

President: Cynthia McKinney