[Sosfbay-discuss] [Fwd: Victory Is Near: We Need You Now!]

Tian Harter tnharter at aceweb.com
Thu Oct 23 15:30:01 PDT 2008

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Victory Is Near: We Need You Now!
Date: 	Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:02:32 -0700
From: 	Peter Drekmeier <Peter at Tuolumne.org>
To: 	undisclosed-recipients:;

Dear Friends,

In just one week. the SFPUC will make its final decision on the Water
System Improvement Program (WSIP).  Will they choose a program that
would divert up to 25 million more gallons of water per day from the
Tuolumne River, or will they cap diversions at current levels and
encourage water conservation and recycling to meet future demand?

We're so close to victory, but we need your help in the home stretch.
  Here's what you can do:

1)  Attend one or both of the public hearings on Thursday, October 30.
  The SF Planning Commission will meet at 1:30pm in Room 400 at City Hall
to discuss, and possibly certify, the Final Program Environmental Impact
Report (FPEIR).  At 5pm (please note new time), the SFPUC will meet in
Room 263 at City Hall to choose a WSIP option.  We're encouraging them
to adopt the Phased WSIP, which would come close to capping diversions
until at least 2018, with an amendment to remove a clause that would
allow the diversion of another 2 million gallons of water per day
(enough to fill 80 swimming pools every day).  If you can only attend
one hearing, the 5pm SFPUC meeting is probably more important.

SF City Hall is located at 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San
Francisco.  For directions,
visit http://www.sfgov.org/site/cityhall_index.asp?id=5244

2)  Write a letter to the SFPUC encouraging them to adopt the Phased
WSIP with an amendment to remove the clause that would allow the
diversion of 2 million more gallons per day from the Tuolumne.  The
address is: Ann Moller Caen, President; SFPUC; 1145 Market Street; San
Francisco, CA 94103.  Emails can be sent to MHoush at sfwater.org
<mailto:MHoush at sfwater.org>.  Talking points are available
at
http://www.tuolumne.org/content/fmd/files/Write%20a%20Letter%20to%20the%20SFPUC.pdf

If you do not have time to write your own letter, please send a form
letter by
visiting
http://www.tuolumne.org/content/staticpages/index.php/letter_commissioners

3)  Turn your comments into a letter to the editor.  For newspaper
contact information, please
visit
http://www.tuolumne.org/content/fmd/files/2008%2008%20Write%20a%20letter%20to%20the%20editor.pdf

4)  Make a donation to the Tuolumne River Trust to help us continue our
work.  You can do so online
at https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?id=1706 or you can send
a check to: Tuolumne River Trust; 111 New Montgomery, #205; San
Francisco, CA 94105.

5)  Forward this message to your friends.

*Other Resources*

TRT Television Ad - http://savethetuolumne.blip.tv/#1312592

A great article about the issue - http://www.tuolumne.org/blog/?p=29

FPEIR - http://www.sfgov.org/site/planning_index.asp?id=80530

TRT Canoe Trips
- http://www.tuolumne.org/content/article.php/20081009085452220

Thank you for all your support!  Please take action now to help protect
the "wild and scenic" Tuolumne River.

-Peter

P.S.  There will be another opportunity to help the Tuolumne in
November.  The Trust is partnering with the San Francisco Green Festival
to educate people in the Bay Area about the source of their tap water.
  A 3-day "Party with a Purpose," the Green Festival draws some 40,000
people every year.  It is a "bottled water-free" event, and this year
Tuloumne River Trust volunteers will staff the tap-water station - as we
fill up water bottles, we'll encourage them to help protect the
Tuolumne.  Volunteers will get a free pass to the entire 3 day festival;
see _http://www.greenfestivals.org/san-francisco-2008/_ for program and
more information.

We're looking for volunteers to help with the following shifts:

Friday, Nov. 14th: 11:30am-4:00pm
Saturday, Nov. 15th: 10:00am-3:00pm, 2:30pm-7:00pm
Sunday Nov. 16th: 3:00pm-7:30pm

-----------------------------
Peter Drekmeier
Bay Area Program Director