[Sosfbay-discuss] Latest column - with Final apologies to The Who.

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Sat Sep 6 17:05:41 PDT 2008

My most recent column (slated for 9/17) has been submitted to the Morgan
Hill Times.

Recent stories in the Times indicated that our schools have made
progress in teaching basic science. I called the school district and
validated that it was real. That is great. Being knowledgeable about
science is becoming increasingly important in our ever more complex
world. It is unfortunate that too many schools have taken too long to
achieve any sort of proficiency and we pay for this as a society, often
being taken in by political slogans supporting solutions that will never
be.

Science provides a factual description of how the world works. Nearly
everyone understands the simple concept of a lever. Given a strong stick
and a small rock, I can move a much larger rock. Science would tell you
exactly how long the stick needs to be and how big of a rock you can move.

I rather wish that more of our legislators, both locally and nationally,
had gotten past this basic level. If they had, we might not be in the
predicaments that we are in today.

Watching the Republican National Convention, I was appalled by the
fervor with which the words “Drill, baby, drill” were chanted. There
seems to be an overall feeling that drilling for more oil, either on the
Outer Continental Shelf or in Alaska will alleviate our addiction to
petroleum or the need to import it in large quantities from countries
that are not necessarily our friends. Neither could be further from the
truth.

Peak production from new offshore drilling is forecast to reach 200,000
barrels per day by 2030. That is a long way off and will provide for
only 4 days of our requirement. This should not become the basis of our
energy policy and those who would make it so may be delusional, ignorant
or lying through their teeth. Or, it may be that they just don't
understand basic science.

We know that the world is warming. That fact can not be denied. Some
would deny that the burning of fossil fuels has anything to do with it.
Those who do are also deficient in their understanding of science. If
any reader wants to challenge me on this, I would ask them to read The
Carbon Age by Eric Roston. Buy it from Book Smart, check it out from the
library, but read it. The science is not that difficult.

I read it recently and became even more convinced that climate change, a
major disruption in what Roston calls the Carbon Cycle, is the single
biggest threat to civilization as we know it... perhaps to much of the
life on this planet.

Most scientists who have focused on the manner in which greenhouse gases
are changing our climate indicate that our atmosphere will continue to
warm when the amount of carbon di-oxide in the atmosphere exceeds 350
parts per million (ppm). It is now 385. Even if we were to stop all
burning of fossil fuels today, the earth will continue to warm.

Both the Obama and McCain campaigns use the term “clean coal” to
describe a solution to our need for electricity in which the carbon in
the emissions of new power plants will be capture and returned to the
earth in some manner. The problem with that hope is that there are
absolutely no clean coal plants in operation. There is talk, there are
plans, but there is nothing working and the earliest that any can be
expected is 2015.

This says nothing about what we do with the large number of coal fired
power plants that are already in existence, or those that will come on
line in other countries over the intervening years. It says nothing
about the level of environmental destruction that arises from the mining
process. In West Virginia, it is called Mountain Top Removal. Just think
of taking the top off of El Toro, using the material to fill in Uvas
Canyon and then trying to find another source of fresh water to replace
Uvas Reservoir. That is happening every day in Appalachia

You do not have to earn a PhD in physics, or biology to understand that
much of what you hear does not make sense. All it takes is some
curiosity and the time to do a little reading.

Yes, it is encouraging that the MHUSD is improving science education. It
is encouraging that we have a Congressman with a degree in mathematics.
But when I listen to so much of the populist political pandering that
passes for fresh ideas, those who would be the new boss sounding like
the old boss, I just hope that we have enough time to educate a new
generation of young people who will not be fooled again.

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente

Wes Rolley
17211 Quail Court, Morgan Hill, CA 95037
http://www.refpub.com/ -- Tel: 408.778.3024