[Sosfbay-discuss] PA Ballot Access Laws, meet the 21st Century

Edward the_alliance47 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 23:05:02 PDT 2008

Great news! Pennsylvanian State Senator Mike Folmer has officially introduced SB 1578.  Ballot Access News says that "it defines a qualified minor party to be a group with registration
equal to one-twentieth of 1%. If it were law now, the Constitution,
Green and Libertarian Parties would be on the ballot automatically.
They would nominate by convention. The law is based on Delaware’s law.
The bill sharply reduces the number of signatures for independent
candidates. There isn’t much time left this year for the legislature to act, but
if it doesn’t pass this year, Senator Folmer will reintroduce it next
year."

I think it would be a good idea if we got Greens from all around the country to write to his office in support of this bill. Unfortunately, Cynthia McKinney is not on the ballot in Pennsylvania, but if she were, we'd be on enough state ballots to have over 72% of the EV. If this bill passes, we are on the ballot for the 2012 presidential elections and any state elections in the next few years.

-Edward

Dear State Senator Folmer:

I am very excited to see the progress that has been made since I last contacted your office in July 2008. SB 1578 is a crucial milestone in strengthening our country's democracy, because it will give voters more options when they go to the polls.

It is especially important that Pennsylvania is taking a leading role in strengthening the democracy of this country, because of its notoriously restrictive and archaic ballot access laws.

Americans from across the country will be paying attention to this bill and we look forward to the passage of SB 1578.

Sincerely,

Edward Chow