[Sosfbay-discuss] April 1, Green Party Meeting

Fred Duperrault fredd at freeshell.org
Sun Apr 5 14:20:47 PDT 2009

Caroline, You did a great job covering a lot o/f organic /territory.
Two things could be added, however: How much $ the hat collected at the
meeting  and, it was suggested for consideration, that GPSCC could
research as to how much public garden area of various local cities (and
the county?) has been alloted, and then publicly propose what the
advantages  would be, in the appropriate cities, to designate more
unused public lands for public gardening. It would be a /green, /unique,
positive, and popular action the GP could initiate.  (The research could
be done this summer and the proposals could be made in the fall.)  Fred

Those present: Valerie Face, Andrea, Tian, Drew, Caroline, Warner,
Valerie, Merriam, Carol, Fred, Roy

Facilitator: Carol
Notetaker: Caroline
Vibes Watcher: Drew
Time Keeper: Tian

Smriti Rana, Coordinator for the Peace and Justice Center, told us about
a tax protest and gave us postcards to fill out.

Tian will prepare the agenda for the next meeting

Treasurer's report: We have $1,673

Fundraising: We passed the hat. We decided to give Carol a check for
$300 now for the seeds. Merriam will donate $25 for the bookmarks. Carol
will donate money for the postcards. Carol already got the seeds. The
company included several packages that are not supposed to be sold for
us to plant. Warner will grow some seeds. Several people took boxes of
seeds to put in their tabling kits. Caroline brought some painted rocks
as examples. They make cute paperweights and cost us nothing. Drew is
growing sunflower seeds now. We should have some seedlings for Earth Day
tabling.

Spaghetti Dinner--Food 4 Thought
We have the speakers and entertainment lined up. We decided to use
Fred's clubhouse as a venue, as he already signed up for it, and we were
having trouble finding another venue that was affordable.The food will
be organic. Tian had brought some sample flyers, but we couldn't pass
them out as we hadn't selected a venue in time for him to include it. He
has put the flyer with the correct information on-line so we can print
some up for distribution. He will have more printed up professionally on
Monday.

Tabling literature: Caroline will bring the rest of the pink pages to
the May meeting so we will have them for Mother's Day. Carol is going to
provide literature to go with the seeds, bookmarks, and information on
HR 875. If you haven't already urged your Representative to vote "No" on
this, please do.

Tabling Events: We have people who will coordinate some of these events,
and workers for some, but, if you see something you would like to be
involved in, please contact the coordinator, or, if there isn't one, Jim
Doyle or Caroline. If you need more literature or buttons, or would like
to make up a tabling kit, please contact Caroline. Let us know about any
events we missed.

April 15--Wednesday Tax Due Date--Rally or Delegation from Peace and Justice
April 18--Sunnyvale Farmer's Market--Caroline and Tian
April 20-21--Sunnyval Library--Caroline
April 22-Wednesday, Earth Day, SJSU--Roy, Tian, Carol
April 24-26--Junior State--Drew and others
April 29--Santa Clara University Earth Day--Caroline
May 5--Cinco de Mayo--we don't seem to be doing anything for this
May 9--Berryessa Art and Wine Festival--Warner, Roy, Caroline
May 10Sunday--Mother's Day
May 16-17--Plenary in Venice--Drew, Warner, Tian, Andrea
May ? Bike to Work Day--It's in here somewhere, but I've lost the date--Tian
May 19--Special Statewide Election re Budget
May 23-25--Sat-Mon--Memorial Day Weekend

GPCA County Polling on Ballot Measures: We reached consensus "No" on
measures 1A-1E. On 1F, we voted 2 "Yes", 5 "No", no abstentions, and 3
"No Position." Our delegates to the Plenary in Venice will be Andrea,
Warner, Tian, and Drew.

Coalition for Downtown Hospital, Use of Website, and Santa Clara County
voter database were not discussed, as Jim and Cameron were not present.
BUT, if you want to use the database, you need to see Cameron.

Long Term Project: Jim was not present to talk about solar panels on
schools, but we were so excited by Carol's seeds, Drew's seedlings, and
Warner's volunteering to grow the extra seeds we got from Seeds of
Change that we decided gardening should be a long term project, too. Roy
had an idea to fight the ordinance that says you can't plant vegetables
in the parking strips.Tian says he is growing vegetables although he
isn't supposed to--sort of organic cilvil disobedience, and Fred said he
thought there was some gardenable land in his complex, too. Warner
volunteered his yard for a garden. We discussed having another yard sale
and actually working on the garden during the sale.

We got a lot done. It was fun. There were brownies and veggies. We have
a lot to do in May. If you weren't at the April meeting, please come to
the one on May 6 at the Peace and Justice Center. Y'all come now, hear?