[Sosfbay-discuss] Meet LeAlan Jones -- Illinois Green Party

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Mon Aug 3 09:32:52 PDT 2009

Meet LeAlan Jones -- Illinois Green Party

Why should African-Americans join the Green Party?

Isn't the Green Party a "White" party?

Aren't the Democrats the party of "Our People?"

This is the kind of nonsense I get all the time as an active outspoken
Black activist in the California Green Party. Want to see what a
no-nosense Black Green looks and sounds like? Meet LeAlan Jones.

LeAlan Jones, the 30-year-old Green Party candidate for Barack Obama’s
old Senate seat in Illinois, is as angry at injustice as he is at the
African-American intellectual and political class that accommodates it.
He does not buy Obama’s "post racial" ideology or have much patience
with African American leaders who, hungry for prestige, power and
money, have, in his eyes, forgotten the people they are supposed to
represent. They have confused a personal ability to be heard and earn a
comfortable living with justice.

Check out this powerful commentary by Chris Hedges posted on TruthDig.

Posted on Truthdig, Aug 3, 2009

"So Much for the Promised Land"

By Chris Hedges

 Remember, this is home-turf of President Barack Obama. If
Illinois Greens can speak truth to power like this in the "Land of
Lincoln", then surely we can do as well in the tarnished "Golden
State." My personal opinion is that it's past time for African-American
progressives to leave that old 1960s Black Power era rhetoric
to the
dustbin of history and just go ahead and be the change we want to see.
But that is just Alex Walker's eccentric view. The Green Party is and
ought to be a big tent and I am delighted that a great young new leader
like LeAlan Jones is in it.

READ MORE AND COMMENT AT:

http://cagreening.blogspot.com/2009/08/meet-laalan-jones-illinois-green-party.html